[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 62

Most radio listening takes place in the car or while doing other things that allow freedom for the ear, but not the eyes and hands.  Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.
I do it while âpower walkingâ (most) every other day.  The âartâ of putting one foot in front of the other can be pretty monotonous and by âpodding alongâ while Iâm plodding along my mind gets something to do along with my body.  Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Apart from the originating programâs web site, most programs are made available through any number of other amalgamation sources such as iTunes and TuneIn. Hereâs another in a continuing series of small samplings:

ââ

âDemocracy and Its Discontentsâ
FROM OUR OWN CORRESPONDENT - BBC Radio 4
Kate Adie introduces dispatches from writers and correspondents around the world. This week: Karen Allen in Johannesburg considers South Africa's municipal elections and what they are likely to mean for both the political parties and the voters; Damien McGuinness reports from Berlin on Germans' reactions to the recent violent attacks in their country, some of which were carried out by asylum seekers, and Chancellor Angela Merkel's policy on refugees; Paul Martin meets the woman judoka aiming to make Kosovo's debut on the Olympic stage a golden one; Soutik Biswas talks to a Dalit - once known as an untouchable - from Gujarat about his efforts to make his business prosper in the face of hostility from upper caste Indians; and Lucy Daltroff tours the islands of Samoa in Polynesia to discover how a Pacific paradise copes with the demands of modern life. (29â)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07m4d8v

âBruce Shapiro; What's wrong with American politics? Logic of organized crime.â
LATE NIGHT LIVE - ABC Radio National
The chaos that the American political establishment finds itself in today has been a long time in the making. Waves of financial and political reform have also resulted in demonized and disempowered political professional and political parties, making it easy for disruption and manipulation of all kind. Jonathan Rauch contributing editor at The Atlantic Magazine recounts the unravelling of an imperfect, but superior democracy. Some analysts now argue we are entering a new age of mafia states â which are corroding the very basis of state power.  (54â)
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/latenightlive/02/7683794

ââ

Good listening!

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide"
New 7th edition now available from Universal Radio, Amazon and W5YI.com