[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 64

Most radio listening takes place in the car or while doing other things that allow freedom for the ear, but not the eyes and hands.  Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.
I do it while âpower walkingâ (most) every other day.  The âartâ of putting one foot in front of the other can be pretty monotonous and by âpodding alongâ while Iâm plodding along my mind gets something to do along with my body.  Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Apart from the originating programâs web site, most programs are made available through any number of other amalgamation sources such as iTunes and TuneIn. Hereâs another in a continuing series of small samplings:

ââ

âThe Invention of Photographyâ
IN OUR TIME - BBC Radio 4
Melvyn Bragg and guests discuss the development of photography in the 1830s, when techniques for 'drawing with light' evolved to the stage where, in 1839, both Louis Daguerre and William Henry Fox Talbot made claims for its invention. These followed the development of the camera obscura, and experiments by such as Thomas Wedgwood and NicÃphore NiÃpce, and led to rapid changes in the 1840s as more people captured images with the daguerreotype and calotype. These new techniques changed the aesthetics of the age and, before long, inspired claims that painting was now dead. (43â)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07j699g

âCicero on Growing Oldâ
THE PHILOSOPHERâS ZONE - ABC Radio National
Growing old is an undeniable fact of life, though for many not a season to look forward to. The famed Roman orator and statesman Marcus Tullius Cicero had put his mind to the dilemma two millennia ago, proposing a ten-point self-help plan. But does it still stand up in our fast-paced modern utilitarian world?  (26â)
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/philosopherszone/cicero-on-growing-old/7551334

ââ

CAPSULE REVIEW
THE PHILOSOPHERâS ZONE - ABC Radio National
This is one program, about which it can be said without debate or reservation, that is truly unique.  There isnât another radio or television program on the planet devoted entirely to philosophy and philosophers.  Yes, this is a program that gives a deep examination of ideas and there are a few â painfully few â of those.  But this program is an accessible, but rigorous, discussion of logic, metaphysics and ethics â and is laser locked on those specific topics.  It is truly an exhilarating experience to hear deep thinkers talk honestly and openly about core human conceptsâanger, self, free will, memory, habit--- in a pure setting, devoid of politics, consumerism or preconception bias.  Treat yourself and listen.
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/philosopherszone/

ââ

Good listening!

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide"
New 7th edition now available from Universal Radio, Amazon and W5YI.com