[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 379

Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.  I do it while “power walking” (most) every morning when weather permits.  Hence…Podding Along!

Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Apart from the originating program’s web site, most programs are made available through any number of other sources.

This continuing series of small samplings in more or less 90 minute helpings are curated by me.  I attest to the fact that I have listened to every podcast listed here.  So admittedly these are thoroughly subjective recommendations.  But my interests and tolerance for incompatible topics and views are pretty wide-ranging, even if I do say so myself.

__ __

“Decisions, Decisions”
TAPESTRY - CBC Radio One
When you’re faced with the really important decisions in life, how do you know you’re getting them right? Steven Johnson studies the art of making decisions, big-ticket items like having children, changing careers, proposing to your sweetie, moving to a new city (when the pandemic permits.) He is the author of Farsighted: How We Make the Decisions that Matter the Most. Candice Marie Benbow is a writer and theologian who has decided to pursue her dream of being a mother on her own in 2021, saying: “We literally were given the gift of surviving one of the hardest and most difficult years that any of us have ever seen. We didn’t survive all of that to play small. To not live these big, beautiful lives that are of our making.” (54”)
https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-59-tapestry/clip/15819000-decisions-decisions

“Why an episode of The Golden Girls was removed in 2020”
UNDER THE INFLUENCE - CBC Radio One
Streaming service Hulu made a decision recently to remove an episode of The Golden Girls from its archive. The episode in question originally aired in 1988. The plot revolved around Dorothy's son planning to wed a Black woman twice his age.  When the son brings his fiancée home, Rose and Blanche happen to be giving each other mud facials - so when the couple walks through the door, the surprised Golden Girls are caught sporting a variation of blackface. Rose says, "This is mud on our faces. We're not really Black.”  The episode titled "Mixed Blessings" is now purged from Hulu. And it isn't the only sitcom to edit its past.  (28”)
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/undertheinfluence/why-an-episode-of-the-golden-girls-was-removed-in-2020-1.5864445

— —

A monthly (well, mostly monthly) compendium of these newsletters, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, is now published in The CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide”
Current 184 page 9th EDITION available from Universal Radio [universal-radio.com], Amazon [amazon.com], Ham Radio Outlet [hamradio.com]