[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 380

Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.  I do it while “power walking” (most) every morning when weather permits.  Hence…Podding Along!

Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Apart from the originating program’s web site, most programs are made available through any number of other sources.

This continuing series of small samplings in more or less 90 minute helpings are curated by me.  I attest to the fact that I have listened to every podcast listed here.  So admittedly these are thoroughly subjective recommendations.  But my interests and tolerance for incompatible topics and views are pretty wide-ranging, even if I do say so myself.

__ __

“The Legacy of John le Carré: Master of the Political Thriller”
WRITERS AND COMPANY - CBC Radio One
John le Carré, the spy-turned-novelist whose elegant and intricate narratives defined the Cold War espionage thriller, died on Dec. 12, 2020. He was 89.  Hespoke with Eleanor Wachtel three times over the past decade: in 2010 about Our Kind of Traitor; in 2015 about A Delicate Truth; and in 2017 about his final Smiley novel, A Legacy of Spies, and his entertaining memoir, The Pigeon Tunnel. For their first conversation in the summer of 2010, le Carré welcomed Eleanor Wachtel to his home outside Penzance, in Cornwall, England. They talked about his childhood and how it had shaped his fiction — le Carré's mother left the family when he was five; his father was a conman, convicted of fraud. (61”)
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/writersandcompany/the-legacy-of-john-le-carré-master-of-the-political-thriller-1.5845831

“Fire in Little Africa," A Rap Album about a Historical Tragedy”
NEW YORKER RADIO HOUR - NPR and WNYC New York Public Radio
The Tulsa massacre of 1921 was a coördinated assault on and destruction of the thriving Black community known as Greenwood, Black Wall Street, or Little Africa. Even today, the death toll remains unknown. In fact, for generations, most people—including many Tulsans—did not know about the massacre at all. This year marks its hundredth anniversary, and it is being commemorated with documentaries, official events in Tulsa, and one very unusual rap album: "Fire in Little Africa," which comes out in May on Motown Records. It features about forty rappers, and thirty other singers, musicians, and producers who tell the story of Greenwood at its height—and of their dreams of a revitalized Black Tulsa. The freelance producer Taylor Hosking explains the creation of the album to The New Yorker's Vinson Cunningham. (31”)
https://www.npr.org/podcasts/458929150/the-new-yorker-radio-hour  [scroll to May 18, 2021]

— —

A monthly (well, mostly monthly) compendium of these newsletters, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, is now published in The CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide”
Current 184 page 9th EDITION available from Universal Radio [universal-radio.com], Amazon [amazon.com], Ham Radio Outlet [hamradio.com]