[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 468

Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.

While there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of great podcasts from other sources, the ones sponsored via public radio have been vetted though the worthy objectives of the medium.

Here’s what I’ve been listening to recently.  I hope you might find these suggestions helpful in enhancing your own enjoyment of radio, our favorite medium.

(Apologies for the sporadic way these messages have been scattered over the last year.  We’ll try to do better.)

__ __

“Laura Tingle's Canberra, ten years after the Bangladesh factory collapse, and histories of the heart”
LATE NIGHT LIVE - ABC RN (Radio National)
A week before the Australian federal budget is revealed, the pre-announcements and hints are building. How the clothing industry has responded to the rights abuses exposed by the building collapse of Rana Plaza in Bangladesh, ten years ago. And how understandings of the heart have evolved.  (53”)
https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/latenightlive/laura-tingle-canberra-bangladesh-factory-fire-history-heart/102207984

“Citizen Kane”
IN OUR TIME - BBC Radio 4
Melvyn Bragg and guests discuss Orson Welles' film, released in 1941, which is widely acclaimed as one of the greatest, if not the greatest, films yet made. Welles plays the lead role of Charles Foster Kane, a newspaper magnate, and Welles directed, produced and co-wrote this story of loneliness at the heart of a megalomaniac. The plot was partly inspired by the life of William Randolph Hearst, who then used the power of his own newspapers to try to suppress the film’s release. It was to take some years before Citizen Kane reached a fuller audience and, from that point, become so celebrated. (54”)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001g37l

— —

A compendium of these suggestions, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, is published in most editions of the CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information and membership information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide”
10th EDITION available NOW from universal-radio.com, amazon.com. amazon.co.uk and amazon.com.au, Ham Radio Outlet.