[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 500

Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.  While there are thousands, perhaps tens of thousands, of great podcasts from other sources, the ones sponsored via public radio have been vetted through the worthy objectives of the medium.

Here’s what I’ve been listening to recently.  I hope you might find these suggestions — in roughly 90 minute bites -- helpful in enhancing your own enjoyment of radio, our favorite medium.
__ __

[Ed. Note:  Some reading these missives might remember The Voice of the Andes — HCJB in Quito Ecuador.  This missionary radio station was unique for both its softer approach toward Christian teaching and its profound respect and promotion of Ecuadorian culture.  The program detailed below brought HCJB to mind and how much it’s missed, replete with the Ecuadorian folk music it sampled throughout it.  REE has half hour English language broadcasts on shortwave (and streams on the Internet) on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.  The programs are professionally done and offer insights into Spanish life and that of their former colonies in the Americas, over which they take special interest.]

“Fitur 2024: Ecuador partners with Madrid's tourism fair”
ENGLISH LANGUAGE BROADCAST - Radio Exterior de Espana
On this special broadcast we visit Fitur, the international tourism fair that's held every year in Madrid. This year's partner is the country of Ecuador, located in South America and which sits on the Ecuator line, thus, its name. With a population of 16 million, the country features Amazon jungle, Andean highlands and the Galapagos Islands. We will stop by its stand in the fair and learn about some of the things Ecuador has to offer like traditional straw hats, coffee, butterflies and Miske, an alcoholic beverage made from agave.
Ecuador is the second producer of cocoa after Brazil, and the country's cocoa beans even has their own name: Arriba beans. These cocoa beans are used to make chocolate and on this broadcast we will also learn about what is said to be the "best and most ethical" chocolate in the world with Santiago Peralta, CEO and founder of Paccari.  (31”)
https://www.rtve.es/play/audios/english-language-broadcast/english-language-broadcast-fitur-2024-ecuador-madrids-tourism-fair/15938193/

“What do we lose by succumbing to conspiracy-mindedness?”
THE MINEFIELD - ABC RN (Radio National)
If it is fair to say that we are living in a time in which the “paranoid style” (or what we might call “the conspiratorial mind”) is ubiquitous — reinforced, no doubt, by both our media ecosystem and the broader digital milieu, fractured as it is by platforms like Facebook and TikTok — then what do we lose by succumbing to its habits of “heated exaggeration, suspiciousness, and conspiratorial fantasy”? Can democracy withstand institutional distrust and epistemic dissolution of this kind?
Guest: Rachel Busbridge is a Senior Lecturer in Sociology at the Australian Catholic University in Melbourne. She is the co-author, with Mark Chou, of 'How Local Governments Govern Culture War Conflicts'. (53”)
https://www.abc.net <https://www.abc.net/>.au/listen/programs/theminefield/what-do-we-lose-by-succumbing-to-conspiracy-mindedness-/103022850

— —

A compendium of these suggestions, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, is published in most editions of the CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information and membership information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide”
NEW!!!!  11th EDITION available in mid-January from universal-radio.com, amazon.com. amazon.co.uk and amazon.com.au, Ham Radio Outlet, W5YI.com. (The Amazon.com <http://amazon.com/> listing has not yet appeared, but universal-radio.com <http://universal-radio.com/> has copies available.)