[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 501

Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.  I do it while taking my daily (more or less) 3 mile walk, while I’m “plodding along”.

While there are thousands, perhaps tens of thousands, of great podcasts from other sources, the ones sponsored via public radio have been vetted through the worthy objectives of the medium.

Here’s what I’ve been listening to recently.  I hope you might find these suggestions — in roughly 90 minute bites -- helpful in enhancing your own enjoyment of radio, our favorite medium.
__ __

“What's Netflix's place in the streaming world?”
COMMOTION - CBC Radio One
Netflix is carving out a space in the professional wrestling world, because starting next year, the streaming giant is going to be the new home for World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) Raw and all things WWE in the United States and Canada.
This deal will last 10 years and is worth approximately $5 billion.  Monday Night Raw is currently the flagship show for WWE, so this deal means that for the first time, the crown jewel of WWE will not be on cable TV.  But at the same time, Netflix has made a decision that harks back to the cable TV era. It has cut its cheapest advertisement-free plan in Canada.  Comedian Marlon Palmer and culture critics Jackson Weaver and Stacy Lee Kong join host Elamin Abdelmahmoud to talk about Netflix's place in the streaming world. (25”)
<https://www.cbc/.ca/arts/commotion/what-s-Netflix-s-place-in-the-streaming-world-1.7099702>

“U.S. 2.0:  What Do We Have in Common?”
HIDDEN BRAIN - NPR
The United States, we’re told, is increasingly a house divided. Conservatives and progressives are so alienated from each other that conversation is virtually impossible. But are we really as divided as we’re led to believe? As we begin what promises to be a pivotal election season, we’re kicking off a new series about how we form our political beliefs. We’re calling it “US 2.0.” We begin with psychologist Kurt Gray, who studies how we think about our political allies and opponents — and how these insights can help us to chart a new path forward.  (56”)
<https://hiddenbrain.org/podcast/us-2-0-what-we-have-in-common/>

— —

A compendium of these suggestions, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, is published in most editions of the CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information and membership information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide”
NEW!!!!  11th EDITION available in mid-January from universal-radio.com, amazon.com. amazon.co.uk and amazon.com.au, Ham Radio Outlet, W5YI.com. (The Amazon.com <http://amazon.com/> listing has not yet appeared, but universal-radio.com <http://universal-radio.com/> has copies available.)