Hard-Core-DX.com - Probably the best DX site in the world Nov 21, 2018, 09:57:16 UTC  
Calendar  | Subscribe to our Mailing List  | Search our site & web  | Polls  | About  | Antenna Books  | Archives  | Copyright  | Hard-Core-DX store  | Radio Books  | Write To Us
Be first -- subscribe!
Get all DX news directly to your email inbox.
Subscribe to the HCDX mailing list

HCDX Channels
Front page
DX News
Logs


Special:
Antennas
DX Lab

Latin America:
Andes DX

Partner Channels
QSL News
Clandestine Radio
Russian DX
Shortwave Bulletin
Signal DX
World of Radio

Medium wave:
IRCA

In Finnish:
Suomi DX
DX Usenet

In French:
DX Philately

In German:
A-DX

In Italian:
BCLNews
Radioascolto
FMDX Italy

In Portuguese:
@tividade DX

In Russian:
Русь-DX
Сигнал

In Spanish:
Conexion Digital

Radio Stations:
SWR Radio News


Do you want to have your
own HCDX Channel?

We would like to see
your channel here.
Please email to
HCDX Staff


HCDX Online Log
The latest logs on
HCDX Online Log
Add yours as well!

DXing Events
There are no upcoming events




702-BBC (Oman) Received in Hawaii  View Printable Version 
Friday, November 16 2018

IRCA
Yes, I remember how 1575 -Farda was one of the very few common TA's which was capable of showing up in our sunrise sessions (although I only received it as a TA, here).

702-BBC certainly seems to have the same qualifications-- awesome power and a nearby location. After receiving it at near S9 in Hawaii around 1600 it seems like it would have at least have put in a trace at Masset (or even Victoria) at the time.

Gary


> On November 15, 2018 at 6:51 PM Volodya S <canswl@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Yes, Farda has been heard in Masset after VOA and later AFN fade out...Walt
>
> On Thursday, November 15, 2018, Nick Hall-Patch < nhp@ieee.org mailto:nhp@ieee.org > wrote:
>
> > > It would be over the pole on the west coast ocean beaches as well, Gary, so, a north facing beach, like at Masset would probably be advantageous.
> >
> > The beauty of "over the pole" here is that in mid-winter, it might possibly show up around local sunrise as well, as Farda occasionally did during the last solar minimum.
> >
> > best wishes,
> >
> > Nick
> >
> >
> >
> > At 06:38 2018-11-14, Gary DeBock wrote:
> >
> >
> > > > > <<< Gary, I was going through some SDR files from Jan 2010, and on it, I also clearly heard Oman with BBC programs in our local afternoon in Masset. HavenÃâât heard them since, though. 73, Walt >>>
> > >
> > > Wow-- if you received them on Masset in the early afternoon, then they were propagating over the pole as a TA. In Hawaii they were following the Central Asia and Pacific route, during TP propagation.
> > >
> > > 702-BBC in Oman seems to be a Middle Eastern mega-station like 1575-Radio Farda, which is capable of showing up during either our west coast sunrise or sunset propagation. Judging from its strength in Hawaii around 1600 UTC, it's definitely worth a try on west coast ocean beaches around sunrise this winter!
> > >
> > > Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)
> > >
> > >
> > > > On November 13, 2018 at 9:51 PM Volodya S < canswl@gmail.com mailto:canswl@gmail.com > wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Gary, I was going through some SDR files from Jan 2010, and on it, I also clearly heard Oman with BBC programs in our local afternoon in Masset. HavenÃâât heard them since, though. 73, Walt
> > > >
> > > > On Tuesday, November 13, 2018, Gary DeBock < d1028gary@comcast.net mailto:d1028gary@comcast.net mailto: d1028gary@comcast.net mailto:d1028gary@comcast.net > wrote:
> > > >
> > > > > > During the recent Poipu, Hawaii Ultralight DXpedition a weak, strange station was showing up on 702 kHz under North Korea's ancient music (and throbbing, off-frequency hum) every morning from 1530-1630 UTC, with a foreign language that was a total mystery to me. Whenever I tried a recording the buzzing hum from North Korea would go on the warpath and derail the effort, and because of the station's marginal signal and NK's obnoxious transmitter it seemed like the 702 UnID would remain a mystery for the duration.
> > > > >
> > > > > Finally at 1604 UTC on November 6th the 702 mystery station built up its strength enough to push KCBS and its hum down into the noise, and I was able to get a good recording of a totally unfamiliar language https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/3y5qkg7yu8o49lc4ab520bfiw006kqrg https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/3y5qkg7yu8o49lc4ab520bfiw006kqrg https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/3y5qkg7yu8o49lc4ab520bfiw006kqrg https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/3y5qkg7yu8o49lc4ab520bfiw006kqrg
> > > > >
> > > > > Fortunately a couple of awesome Finnish DXers (Mauno and Mika) on Real DX identified the language as Arabic, coming from the BBC Arabic Service transmitter in A'Seela, Oman (at 8,425 miles, or 13,559 km). Even considering the 800 kW transmitter, this was pretty stunning DX for a 5 inch FSL antenna set up near the beach in Poipu, Hawaii.
> > > > >
> > > > > Checking John Bryant's records from his 2007 Easter Island DXpedition, I see that John received the 750 kW station 1413-BBC from A'Seela, Oman during his trip, but not this station. Considering the strength and reliability of 702-BBC into Hawaii, my guess is that it could put somewhat of a signal into the west coast in deep winter, especially on the ocean coast when propagation is still in play around 1600 UTC. At least one DXer that I know will be looking for it :-)
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > Gary DeBock (DXing at Poipu, Hawaii from November 3-8) https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/l61xhqoq9ki7b6kl9bz41yunangvr6ap https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/l61xhqoq9ki7b6kl9bz41yunangvr6ap https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/l61xhqoq9ki7b6kl9bz41yunangvr6ap https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/l61xhqoq9ki7b6kl9bz41yunangvr6ap
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > _____________________________ _ _________________
> > > > > IRCA mailing list
> > > > > IRCA@hard-core-dx.com mailto:IRCA@hard-core-dx.com mailto: IRCA@hard-core-dx.com mailto:IRCA@hard-core-dx.com
> > > > > http://montreal.kotalampi.com/mailman/listinfo/irca http://montreal.kotalampi.com/mailman/listinfo/irca http://montreal.kotalampi.com/mailman/listinfo/irca http://montreal.kotalampi.com/mailman/listinfo/irca
> > > > >
> > > > > Opinions expressed in messages on this mailing list are those of the original contributors and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the IRCA, its editors, publishing staff, or officers
> > > > >
> > > > > For more information: http://www.ircaonline.org
> > > > >
> > > > > To Post a message: irca@hard-core-dx.com mailto:irca@hard-core-dx.com mailto: irca@hard-core-dx.com mailto:irca@hard-core-dx.com
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > >
> > >
> > > ______________________________ _________________
> > > IRCA mailing list
> > > IRCA@hard-core-dx.com mailto:IRCA@hard-core-dx.com
> > > http://montreal.kotalampi.com/mailman/listinfo/irca http://montreal.kotalampi.com/mailman/listinfo/irca
> > >
> > > Opinions expressed in messages on this mailing list are those of the original contributors and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the IRCA, its editors, publishing staff, or officers
> > >
> > > For more information: http://www.ircaonline.org
> > >
> > > To Post a message: irca@hard-core-dx.com mailto:irca@hard-core-dx.com
> > >
> > > > > Nick Hall-Patch
> > Victoria, BC
> > Canada
> >
> > >

 

702-BBC (Oman) Received in Hawaii  View Printable Version 
Friday, November 16 2018

IRCA
It would be over the pole on the west coast ocean
beaches as well, Gary, so, a north facing beach,
like at Masset would probably be advantageous.

The beauty of "over the pole" here is that in
mid-winter, it might possibly show up around
local sunrise as well, as Farda occasionally did during the last solar minimum.

best wishes,

Nick

At 06:38 2018-11-14, Gary DeBock wrote:

<<< Gary, I was going through some SDR files
from Jan 2010, and on it, I also clearly heard
Oman with BBC programs in our local afternoon in
Masset. Havenâ??t heard them since, though. 73, Walt >>>

Wow-- if you received them on Masset in the
early afternoon, then they were propagating over
the pole as a TA. In Hawaii they were following
the Central Asia and Pacific route, during TP propagation.

702-BBC in Oman seems to be a Middle Eastern
mega-station like 1575-Radio Farda, which is
capable of showing up during either our west
coast sunrise or sunset propagation. Judging
from its strength in Hawaii around 1600 UTC,
it's definitely worth a try on west coast ocean
beaches around sunrise this winter!

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)


> On November 13, 2018 at 9:51 PM Volodya S <canswl@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Gary, I was going through some SDR files
from Jan 2010, and on it, I also clearly heard
Oman with BBC programs in our local afternoon
in Masset. Havenâ??t heard them since, though. 73, Walt


>
> On Tuesday, November 13, 2018, Gary
DeBock < d1028gary@comcast.net mailto:d1028gary@comcast.net > wrote:

>
> > > During the recent Poipu,
Hawaii Ultralight DXpedition a weak, strange
station was showing up on 702 kHz under North
Korea's ancient music (and throbbing,
off-frequency hum) every morning from 1530-1630
UTC, with a foreign language that was a total
mystery to me. Whenever I tried a recording the
buzzing hum from North Korea would go on the
warpath and derail the effort, and because of
the station's marginal signal and NK's
obnoxious transmitter it seemed like the 702
UnID would remain a mystery for the duration.

> >
> > Finally at 1604 UTC on
November 6th the 702 mystery station built up
its strength enough to push KCBS and its hum
down into the noise, and I was able to get a
good recording of a totally unfamiliar
language
https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/3y5qkg7yu8o49lc4ab520bfiw006kqrg
https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/3y5qkg7yu8o49lc4ab520bfiw006kqrg

> >
> > Fortunately a couple of awesome
Finnish DXers (Mauno and Mika) on Real DX
identified the language as Arabic, coming from
the BBC Arabic Service transmitter in A'Seela,
Oman (at 8,425 miles, or 13,559 km). Even
considering the 800 kW transmitter, this was
pretty stunning DX for a 5 inch FSL antenna set
up near the beach in Poipu, Hawaii.

> >
> > Checking John Bryant's records
from his 2007 Easter Island DXpedition, I see
that John received the 750 kW station 1413-BBC
from A'Seela, Oman during his trip, but not
this station. Considering the strength and
reliability of 702-BBC into Hawaii, my guess is
that it could put somewhat of a signal into the
west coast in deep winter, especially on the
ocean coast when propagation is still in play
around 1600 UTC. At least one DXer that I know will be looking for it :-)

> >
> >
> > Gary DeBock (DXing at Poipu, Hawaii
from November
3-8)
https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/l61xhqoq9ki7b6kl9bz41yunangvr6ap
https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/l61xhqoq9ki7b6kl9bz41yunangvr6ap

> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ______________________________ _________________
> > IRCA mailing list
> > IRCA@hard-core-dx.com mailto:IRCA@hard-core-dx.com
> >
http://montreal.kotalampi.com/mailman/listinfo/irca
http://montreal.kotalampi.com/mailman/listinfo/irca

> >
> > Opinions expressed in messages on
this mailing list are those of the original
contributors and do not necessarily reflect the
opinion of the IRCA, its editors, publishing staff, or officers

> >
> > For more information: http://www.ircaonline.org
> >
> > To Post a message:
irca@hard-core-dx.com mailto:irca@hard-core-dx.com

> >
> >
> > >

 

AM 1710 pirate?  View Printable Version 
Friday, November 16 2018

IRCA
Hi Mark,

Chicago's W807 on 1710 has gone dark per their Facebook page which explains
why I never hear them anymore from across the big lake. Our mystery
station had some decent fade-ups last night with music ranging from the
1930s through the 1970s. Live announcements occur between songs with live
time checks given in EST along with the occasional weather forecast (snow
and sleet with a high of 32). Bell sounds (which really cut through the
noise) were heard last night at the top of the hour at 0200 & 0300 UTC. I
even caught a partial phone number that was given out last night with a
non-geographic 500 area code. Another tentative mention of "Rockingham"
was heard. There's a Rockingham County in Virginia which seemed to match
up with the weather forecast they gave last night, for what it's worth. My
gut tells me this isn't from Rockingham, NC. It's now 0148 UTC and I'm
beginning to hear the same style of music fade in again tonight.

I've also been hearing a Spanish religious station on 1710 that I'm unable
to identify, though I have ruled out a few that I know about that operate
on 1710.

73,
Tim Tromp
West Michigan


On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 7:21 PM Mark Pettifor <mark@spacetubes.com> wrote:

> Currently (0010utc), I'm hearing SS religious songs (as indentified by
> Shazaam through the noise). It faded out at TOH at 0000, so nothing
> decent was heard then.
>
> Logged in remotely from work earlier this afternoon @ around 2135, and
> was already getting jba w/man talking and some music, although it was
> too weak to identify any language or even type of music.
>
> Best signal is on the south DKAZ here in Goshen, IN. I also tried the
> east superloop, and an "omni" vertical piece of wire about 25 feet high,
> and it's absent on either of those.
>
> BTW, on the East s-loop I'm getting some health center or hospital in
> the New Jersey area, which sometimes even takes over on the south DKAZ.
>
> How can I tell I'm *not* picking up the Chicago station, W807? What's
> their format and usual schedule?
>
> Mark Pettifor
> Goshen, IN
>
>
> On 2018-11-14 9:41 pm, Tim Tromp wrote:
> > This "West Rockingham" mystery station is back again tonight on 1710
> > (0200
> > UTC Nov.14th, 2018). Very weak copy on my South DKAZ. Pro sounding
> > male
> > announcer with bells heard signaling 0200 UTC top of hour, weather
> > forecasts (snow) given between songs ranging from the 1940s through the
> > 1970s. Checking several remote SDRs in the Midwest, and I'm not
> > hearing it
> > on any. The mystery continues..
> >
> > 73,
> > Tim Tromp
> > West Michigan
> >
> > On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 12:38 PM Neil Kazaross neilkaz58@gmail.com
> > [ABDX] <
> > ABDX@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
> >
> >>
> >>
> >> Volume at beginning of recording is a little low for me. Also perhaps
> >> a
> >> somewhat wider bandwidth might help at least for me. Initially I felt
> >> it
> >> said West Washington but now it sd/lk West â..ham.
> >>
> >> Wx report seems OK for Midwest. Internet turns up nothing. Based on
> >> 87.7
> >> FM this should be from a place that doesn't have a near by channel 6
> >> although many are using that freq to cram in another FM like in
> >> Chicago.
> >> 73 KAZ
> >>
> >> On Sun, Nov 4, 2018 at 10:49 PM Tim Hall TimHall1@gmail.com [ABDX] <
> >> ABDX@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
> >>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> 87.7 FM 1710 AM and it sure sounds like West Rockingham to me too.
> >>> Community Radio Network. Internet search doesn't seem to turn up
> >>> anything
> >>> useful.
> >>>
> >>> 73 Tim
> >>>
> >>> On Sun, Nov 4, 2018 at 8:10 PM Tim Tromp kilokat7@gmail.com [ABDX] <
> >>> ABDX@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
> >>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> I caught this earlier tonight at 0300 UTC. Any ideas? My ears hear
> >>>> "West Rockingham" during a quasi ID between songs, but I could be
> >>>> totally
> >>>> wrong. There's even a weather forecast given at one point. It
> >>>> doesn't
> >>>> sound like a pirate, but I know it cannot be a legal Part 15
> >>>> station. I
> >>>> also heard it on an Ohio SDR at about the same level.
> >>>>
> >>>> https://youtu.be/GWM2snVbMmU
> >>>>
> >>>> 73,
> >>>> Tim Tromp
> >>>> West Michigan
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> __._,_.___

 

1010 KXPS  View Printable Version 
Friday, November 16 2018

IRCA
Subject SEEMS to be on day power with Thursday night football, just in case
anyone needs them.

VY 73 de Joe

--
Joe Miller, KJ8O
Desert Hot Springs, CA
Locator DM13sw

 

AM 1710 pirate?  View Printable Version 
Friday, November 16 2018

IRCA
I believe that the Spanish religious station on 1710 is another pirate, Radio Reten Lo Que Tienes in Baton Rogue, LA. While they claim to be a Part 15 station, no one operating on 100 mw gets out that well. Theyâre heard frequently in Alabama.

They even have their own website, and seem undeterred by previous visits from the FCC.

https://www.radioretenloquetienes.com

Iâll have to listen tonight for the other pirate on 1710 KHz. Love this frequency!


73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL 35114
EM63nf

Member WTFDA, IRCA, NRC. Former CPC Chairman for NRC & IRCA.

Elad FDM-S2 SDR, AirSpy SDR2, SDRPlay RSP-2 Pro, Sony XDR-F1HD [XDR Guy Modified], Dennon TU-1500RD, Sangean HDT-1X, Ray Dees RDS Decoders, Korner 9.2 Antenna, FM-6 Antenna, Kitz Technologies KT-501 Pre-amps, Quantum Phaser, Wellbrook ALA1530 Loop, Wellbrook Flag, Clifton Labs Active Whip.

âNothing but blues and Elvis, and somebody elseâs favorite songââ

> On Nov 15, 2018, at 7:57 PM, Tim Tromp <kilokat7@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> Chicago's W807 on 1710 has gone dark per their Facebook page which explains
> why I never hear them anymore from across the big lake. Our mystery
> station had some decent fade-ups last night with music ranging from the
> 1930s through the 1970s. Live announcements occur between songs with live
> time checks given in EST along with the occasional weather forecast (snow
> and sleet with a high of 32). Bell sounds (which really cut through the
> noise) were heard last night at the top of the hour at 0200 & 0300 UTC. I
> even caught a partial phone number that was given out last night with a
> non-geographic 500 area code. Another tentative mention of "Rockingham"
> was heard. There's a Rockingham County in Virginia which seemed to match
> up with the weather forecast they gave last night, for what it's worth. My
> gut tells me this isn't from Rockingham, NC. It's now 0148 UTC and I'm
> beginning to hear the same style of music fade in again tonight.
>
> I've also been hearing a Spanish religious station on 1710 that I'm unable
> to identify, though I have ruled out a few that I know about that operate
> on 1710.
>
> 73,
> Tim Tromp
> West Michigan
>
>
> On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 7:21 PM Mark Pettifor <mark@spacetubes.com <mailto:mark@spacetubes.com>> wrote:
>
>> Currently (0010utc), I'm hearing SS religious songs (as indentified by
>> Shazaam through the noise). It faded out at TOH at 0000, so nothing
>> decent was heard then.
>>
>> Logged in remotely from work earlier this afternoon @ around 2135, and
>> was already getting jba w/man talking and some music, although it was
>> too weak to identify any language or even type of music.
>>
>> Best signal is on the south DKAZ here in Goshen, IN. I also tried the
>> east superloop, and an "omni" vertical piece of wire about 25 feet high,
>> and it's absent on either of those.
>>
>> BTW, on the East s-loop I'm getting some health center or hospital in
>> the New Jersey area, which sometimes even takes over on the south DKAZ.
>>
>> How can I tell I'm *not* picking up the Chicago station, W807? What's
>> their format and usual schedule?
>>
>> Mark Pettifor
>> Goshen, IN
>>
>>
>> On 2018-11-14 9:41 pm, Tim Tromp wrote:
>>> This "West Rockingham" mystery station is back again tonight on 1710
>>> (0200
>>> UTC Nov.14th, 2018). Very weak copy on my South DKAZ. Pro sounding
>>> male
>>> announcer with bells heard signaling 0200 UTC top of hour, weather
>>> forecasts (snow) given between songs ranging from the 1940s through the
>>> 1970s. Checking several remote SDRs in the Midwest, and I'm not
>>> hearing it
>>> on any. The mystery continues..
>>>
>>> 73,
>>> Tim Tromp
>>> West Michigan
>>>
>>> On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 12:38 PM Neil Kazaross neilkaz58@gmail.com <mailto:neilkaz58@gmail.com>
>>> [ABDX] <
>>> ABDX@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ABDX@yahoogroups.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Volume at beginning of recording is a little low for me. Also perhaps
>>>> a
>>>> somewhat wider bandwidth might help at least for me. Initially I felt
>>>> it
>>>> said West Washington but now it sd/lk West â..ham.
>>>>
>>>> Wx report seems OK for Midwest. Internet turns up nothing. Based on
>>>> 87.7
>>>> FM this should be from a place that doesn't have a near by channel 6
>>>> although many are using that freq to cram in another FM like in
>>>> Chicago.
>>>> 73 KAZ
>>>>
>>>> On Sun, Nov 4, 2018 at 10:49 PM Tim Hall TimHall1@gmail.com <mailto:TimHall1@gmail.com> [ABDX] <
>>>> ABDX@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ABDX@yahoogroups.com>> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> 87.7 FM 1710 AM and it sure sounds like West Rockingham to me too.
>>>>> Community Radio Network. Internet search doesn't seem to turn up
>>>>> anything
>>>>> useful.
>>>>>
>>>>> 73 Tim
>>>>>
>>>>> On Sun, Nov 4, 2018 at 8:10 PM Tim Tromp kilokat7@gmail.com <mailto:kilokat7@gmail.com> [ABDX] <
>>>>> ABDX@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ABDX@yahoogroups.com>> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I caught this earlier tonight at 0300 UTC. Any ideas? My ears hear
>>>>>> "West Rockingham" during a quasi ID between songs, but I could be
>>>>>> totally
>>>>>> wrong. There's even a weather forecast given at one point. It
>>>>>> doesn't
>>>>>> sound like a pirate, but I know it cannot be a legal Part 15
>>>>>> station. I
>>>>>> also heard it on an Ohio SDR at about the same level.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> https://youtu.be/GWM2snVbMmU <https://youtu.be/GWM2snVbMmU>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> 73,
>>>>>> Tim Tromp
>>>>>> West Michigan
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> __._,_.___

 

Previous 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 Next
IRCA
Hard-Core-DX.com IRCA Channel is provided by:
.


Join IRCA!


DX Search Engine



Radio Portal
is a highly specialized seach engine for radio aficionados.

More
on how best to use Radio Portal.


This page was created in 1.61 seconds