Hard-Core-DX.com - Probably the best DX site in the world Aug 15, 2018, 22:31:16 UTC  
Calendar  | Subscribe to our Mailing List  | Search our site & web  | Polls  | About  | Antenna Books  | Archives  | Copyright  | Hard-Core-DX store  | Radio Books  | Write To Us
Be first -- subscribe!
Get all DX news directly to your email inbox.
Subscribe to the HCDX mailing list

HCDX Channels
Front page
DX News
Logs


Special:
Antennas
DX Lab

Latin America:
Andes DX

Partner Channels
QSL News
Clandestine Radio
Russian DX
Shortwave Bulletin
Signal DX
World of Radio

Medium wave:
IRCA

In Finnish:
Suomi DX
DX Usenet

In French:
DX Philately

In German:
A-DX

In Italian:
BCLNews
Radioascolto
FMDX Italy

In Portuguese:
@tividade DX

In Russian:
Русь-DX
Сигнал

In Spanish:
Conexion Digital

Radio Stations:
SWR Radio News


Do you want to have your
own HCDX Channel?

We would like to see
your channel here.
Please email to
HCDX Staff


HCDX Online Log
The latest logs on
HCDX Online Log
Add yours as well!

DXing Events
There are no upcoming events




LINK FOR XHDATA D-808 PURCHASE  View Printable Version 
Wednesday, August 01 2018

IRCA
Hi Mike,

<<< Is there any reason why this radio is not available in North America,
except through sketchy fly-by-night re-sellers? >>>

Well, when Chinese engineers take the CC Skywave SSB model and reverse-engineer the radio to make a significantly more sensitive AM-DXing portable (with a longer loopstick), a more powerful audio amp (correcting a serious weak point) and offer the new model worldwide at a price about half of the Skywave SSB (except for North American purchasers, who pay about $ 112), the Chinese engineers probably don't want to risk a copyright lawsuit by selling the model openly in North America. And Universal Radio, Amazon etc. are probably all too aware of these facts, and don't care to support Chinese "reverse engineering."

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

> On July 31, 2018 at 6:21 PM Mike Keval Brooker <keval.mike@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
> Is there any reason why this radio is not available in North America,
> except through sketchy fly-by-night re-sellers? I would be tempted to buy
> one if it was offered by, say, Universal Radio. Slightly better than the C
> Crane Skywave, yes. But I don't think it would beat my 40 year old
> Panasonic RF2200.
>
>
> 73
>
> Mike Brooker
> Toronto, ON
>
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 9:05 PM, Russ Johnson <radiok3pi@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Really enjoying mine so far
> >
> > The audio characteristics match my ears better than any radio have.
> >
> > The most annoying thing is that the kickstand is far too short. You canât
> > read display. My easy solution was to clip a clothespin to the center of
> > kickstand for additional length needed. Works great
> >
> > Russ Johnson
> > Lexington NC
> >
> >
> >
> > > On Jul 29, 2018, at 7:18 PM, Gary DeBock <d1028gary@comcast.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks Craig,
> > >
> > > Unfortunately that seller has never offered to ship the model to either
> > the USA or Canada, despite the fact that he will ship it to Mexico for free
> > (go figure?).
> > >
> > > This is almost certainly related to the fact that a lot of the XHDATA
> > D-808 circuitry was "reverse engineered" from the C.Crane Skywave SSB
> > model, and the company is reluctant to risk a copyright lawsuit by selling
> > the model openly in North America. The eBay seller offering the model at
> > $ 112 tries to avoid this issue by shipping through Israel-- and he is
> > apparently doing a booming business by coming up with this solution.
> > >
> > > 73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)
> > >
> > >
> > >> On July 29, 2018 at 3:19 PM C B <bevdxer@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > >>
> > >> This Ebay seller has a special on the XHData D-808 for a couple more
> > days:
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> XHDATA D 808 Portable Digital Radio FM stereo/ SW / MW / LW SSB AIR
> > RDS Multi Band Radio Speaker with LCD Display Alarm Clock-in Radio from
> > Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
> > https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Tecsun-PL-398MP-2-2-Full-
> > Band-Digital-Tuning-Stereo-Radio-Receiver-w-Stand-and-MP3/1504908567.html
> > >>
> > >> $ 79.78
> > >> XHDATA D 808 Portable Digital Radio FM stereo/ SW / MW / LW SSB AIR
> > RDS ...
> > >>
> > >> Cheap radio fm stereo, Buy Quality fm stereo directly from China
> > portable digital radio Suppliers: XHDATA D-808 ...
> > https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Tecsun-PL-398MP-2-2-Full-
> > Band-Digital-Tuning-Stereo-Radio-Receiver-w-Stand-and-MP3/1504908567.html
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> 73,
> > >>
> > >> Craig Barnes
> > >> Wheat Ridge, CO
> > >>
> > >> On Sunday, July 29, 2018, 3:51:01 PM MDT, shaftan@earthlink.net <
> > shaftan@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> https://www.ebay.com/itm/XHDATA-D-808-Portable-Digital-
> > Radio-FM-stereo-SW-MW-LW-SSB-RDS-Air-Band-LCD/263589135532
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> I got mine here.
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> Rick S., Rodanthe NC OBX FM25go
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> From: fpeconsultant@aol.com mailto:fpeconsultant@aol.com <
> > fpeconsultant@aol.com mailto:fpeconsultant@aol.com >
> > >> Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2018 5:12 PM
> > >> To: Gary DeBock < d1028gary@comcast.net mailto:d1028gary@comcast.net
> > >
> > >> Cc: < shaftan@earthlink.net mailto:shaftan@earthlink.net > <
> > shaftan@earthlink.net mailto:shaftan@earthlink.net >; America, Mailing <
> > irca@hard-core-dx.com mailto:irca@hard-core-dx.com >
> > >> Subject: Re: [nrc-am] XHDATA D-808-- The Summer Travel "Smoke Test"
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> Hello again & thx for the info on the loop stick vs the Select A
> > Tenna..
> > >>
> > >> I have heard that the lithium battery can't be shipped to the USA &
> > is tough to obtain as well.
> > >>
> > >> Does anyone know if this is the case?
> > >>
> > >> Thx again
> > >>
> > >> Rich
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> On Jul 29, 2018, at 0:31, Gary DeBock < d1028gary@comcast.net
> > mailto:d1028gary@comcast.net <mailto: d1028gary@comcast.net mailto:
> > d1028gary@comcast.net > > wrote:
> > >>
> > >> Hello Rich,
> > >>
> > >> <<< I have been seeing a lot about this radio & am considering
> > buying one - many posts mention a loop stick - my assumption is that this
> > doesn't come with the radio & people build them. Can someone tell me if
> > this is so & would using an old school Super Select-a-tenna give me similar
> > results? >>>
> > >>
> > >> Although the stock XHDATA D-808 model already provides good AM
> > sensitivity with its 3 7/8" (97mm) loopstick, its performance can be
> > dramatically boosted by replacing the stock loopstick with an
> > externally-mounted 7.5" transplant. A photo of such an enhanced D-808 model
> > is posted at https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/vk26lkhhu77q8buzuaido03fmy5s7x
> > st
> > >>
> > >> This 7.5" transplant loopstick is the same one used for
> > "supercharging" the Tecsun PL-380 model, as described in the construction
> > article posted at http://www.mediafire.com/file/
> > du3sr5cd9thqvau/7.5inch-LS-PL380.doc/file http://www.mediafire.com/file/
> > du3sr5cd9thqvau/7.5inch-LS-PL380.doc/file The enhanced D-808 model would
> > have AM sensitivity similar to that of a stock D-808 + Select-a-Tenna
> > combo, but would not require peaking the external antenna every time a
> > frequency is changed. This is a huge advantage for quick and easy "travel
> > DXing."
> > >>
> > >> 73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> On July 28, 2018 at 4:36 PM fpeconsultant via NRC-AM <
> > nrc-am@googlegroups.com mailto:nrc-am@googlegroups.com <mailto:
> > nrc-am@googlegroups.com mailto:nrc-am@googlegroups.com > > wrote:
> > >>
> > >> Hello - I have been seeing a lot about this radio & am considering
> > buying one - many posts mention a loop stick - my assumption is that this
> > doesn't come with the radio & people build them. Can someone tell me if
> > this is so & would using an old school Super Select-a-tenna give me similar
> > results?
> > >>
> > >> Thx
> > >>
> > >> Rich
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> On Jul 28, 2018, at 14:09, < shaftan@earthlink.net mailto:
> > shaftan@earthlink.net <mailto: shaftan@earthlink.net mailto:
> > shaftan@earthlink.net > > wrote:
> > >>
> > >> This is the best portable Iâve seen yet.
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> Rick Shaftan
> > >>
> > >> Rodanthe NC OBX FM25go
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> From: nrc-am@googlegroups.com mailto:nrc-am@googlegroups.com
> > <mailto: nrc-am@googlegroups.com mailto:nrc-am@googlegroups.com > <
> > nrc-am@googlegroups.com mailto:nrc-am@googlegroups.com <mailto:
> > nrc-am@googlegroups.com mailto:nrc-am@googlegroups.com > > On Behalf Of
> > Gary DeBock
> > >> Sent: Friday, July 27, 2018 1:18 AM
> > >> To: America, Mailing < irca@hard-core-dx.com mailto:
> > irca@hard-core-dx.com <mailto: irca@hard-core-dx.com mailto:
> > irca@hard-core-dx.com > >; NRC < nrc-am@googlegroups.com mailto:
> > nrc-am@googlegroups.com <mailto: nrc-am@googlegroups.com mailto:
> > nrc-am@googlegroups.com > >
> > >> Subject: [nrc-am] XHDATA D-808-- The Summer Travel "Smoke Test"
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> Detailed information concerning the new, Chinese-made XHDATA
> > D-808 AM-LW-FM-SW-AIR portable has been posted previously, including its
> > hot-performing AM-DXing loopstick, SSB capability and rechargeable
> > lithium-ion battery. This model was "inspired" (to be generous) by the
> > C.Crane Skywave SSB model, which was manufactured in the nearby Redsun
> > factories in China-- with the first model sold a few months before the
> > D-808 was "reverse-engineered."
> > >>
> > >> As reported previously, the D-808 makes a few significant
> > improvements over the Skywave SSB model-- a longer, more sensitive AM
> > loopstick, a much stronger audio amplifier, and a much lower price ($ 112 on
> > eBay, versus $ 169.99 for the Skywave SSB). After a few months with the
> > company declining to ship to North American customers (apparently to avoid
> > a copyright lawsuit because of the SSB circuitry, identical to that of the
> > Skywave SSB), a single Chinese eBay seller is now doing a booming business,
> > shipping the model to North American customers through Israel.
> > >>
> > >> After performing two MW and one Longwave 7.5" loopstick transplants
> > on the D-808 model, I can confirm that the model is well engineered (or
> > maybe well reverse engineered?), with the loopstick connections on the RF
> > circuit board unusually accessible, and ideal for soldering larger diameter
> > Litz wire. There are actually two terminal connections for this purpose--
> > most likely to make it easy for the XHDATA engineers to test out various
> > loopsticks.
> > >>
> > >> And a loopstick transplant on the D-808 may be easier to contemplate
> > if you consider the fact that you will not be violating the XHDATA warranty
> > by replacing the loopstick. Why not? Because there is no evidence of any
> > XHDATA warranty on the model, either online, or in the documents shipped
> > along with the portable :-)
> > >>
> > >> As such, I thought I would submit a D-808 model to a very rough
> > break-in test during extensive summer travel these past two weeks. A 7.5"
> > MW loopstick D-808 model was taken along during road trips to eastern
> > Washington (complete with 100 degree F/ 43 degree C temperatures), rough
> > mountain roads (on Mount Rainier, Mount Baker and Hurricane Ridge) and a
> > visit to Vancouver, BC.
> > >>
> > >> Once the supplied 3.7v Lithium Ion battery is fully charged (via
> > a supplied USB-type connector cord), the battery provides exceptional run
> > time. I was able to use it for many hours of DXing over two weeks, with no
> > apparent loss of power. The audio amp delivers a lot of response, even when
> > signals are weak. It takes a little time getting used to the volume control
> > being on the left side when the tuning control is on the right, but you
> > catch on pretty quick. The enhanced 7.5" MW loopstick model is like the
> > "King of Compact Portables," with sensitivity enough to dig out practically
> > everything that any other portable on the planet could come up with-- with
> > SSB capability and multiple DSP filtering selections to boot. For someone
> > making an overseas trip or extended travel from home, it would be a dream
> > portable. This is the first radio to use the full capabilities of the
> > American-engineered Si4735 DSP chip-- with exceptional results.
> > >>
> > >> What finally got my undivided attention, though, was when the
> > model was accidentally left in the trunk during our visit to Ellensburg,
> > WA-- a location famous for 100 degree days in July. Multiple items in the
> > trunk (shampoo, food, electric shavers, etc.) were zapped by the 104 degree
> > temperature inside the trunk, and were either ruined, or refused to
> > operate. As I turned on the burning-hot D-808 model I certainly expected
> > the worst, especially when the temperature indicator showed "43 degrees C."
> > Much to my astonishment the model performed flawlessly, though, delivering
> > an S9 signal from the Snoqualmie Pass TIS station on 1610 kHz. Not once had
> > the D-808 missed a beat over a tough two weeks, which included quite a few
> > rough bumps, extremely hot days and long DXing hours. Despite the rather
> > dubious design pedigree and lack of any manufacturer's warranty the D-808
> > had gained my respect as a hot-performing AM-DXing portable, ready to
> > perform and persevere when conditions are rough. Although it's not an
> > Ultralight radio, it certainly is an exceptional portable for the price..
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> 73 and Good DX,
> > >>
> > >> Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> --
> > >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> > Groups "NRC-AM" group.
> > >> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
> > send an email to nrc-am+ unsubscribe@googlegroups.com mailto:unsubscribe@
> > googlegroups.com <mailto:nrc-am+ unsubscribe@googlegroups.com mailto:
> > unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > .
> > >> To post to this group, send email to nrc-am@googlegroups.com mailto:
> > nrc-am@googlegroups.com <mailto: nrc-am@googlegroups.com mailto:
> > nrc-am@googlegroups.com > .
> > >> To view this discussion on the web visit
> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nrc-am/1975174617.747276.1532668667513%
> > 40connect.xfinity.com https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nrc-am/1975174617..
> > 747276.1532668667513%40connect.xfinity.com < https://groups.google.com/d/
> > msgid/nrc-am/1975174617.747276.1532668667513%40connect.xfinity.com?utm_
> > medium=email&utm_source=footer https://groups.google.com/d/
> > msgid/nrc-am/1975174617.747276.1532668667513%40connect.xfinity.com?utm_
> > medium=email&utm_source=footer > .
> > >> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
> > https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
> > >>
> > >> --
> > >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> > Groups "NRC-AM" group.
> > >> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
> > send an email to nrc-am+ unsubscribe@googlegroups.com mailto:unsubscribe@
> > googlegroups.com <mailto:nrc-am+ unsubscribe@googlegroups.com mailto:
> > unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > .
> > >> To post to this group, send email to nrc-am@googlegroups.com mailto:
> > nrc-am@googlegroups.com <mailto: nrc-am@googlegroups.com mailto:
> > nrc-am@googlegroups.com > .
> > >> To view this discussion on the web visit
> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nrc-am/1ae001d4267c%
> > 2498c981d0%24ca5c8570%24%40earthlink.net https://groups.google.com/d/
> > msgid/nrc-am/1ae001d4267c%2498c981d0%24ca5c8570%24%40earthlink.net <
> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nrc-am/1ae001d4267c%
> > 2498c981d0%24ca5c8570%24%40earthlink.net?utm_medium=
> > email&utm_source=footer https://groups.google.com/d/
> > msgid/nrc-am/1ae001d4267c%2498c981d0%24ca5c8570%24%
> > 40earthlink.net?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer > .
> > >> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
> > https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> --
> > >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> > Groups "NRC-AM" group.
> > >> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
> > send an email to nrc-am+ unsubscribe@googlegroups.com mailto:unsubscribe@
> > googlegroups.com <mailto:nrc-am+ unsubscribe@googlegroups.com mailto:
> > unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > .
> > >> To post to this group, send email to nrc-am@googlegroups.com mailto:
> > nrc-am@googlegroups.com <mailto: nrc-am@googlegroups.com mailto:
> > nrc-am@googlegroups.com > .
> > >> To view this discussion on the web visit
> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nrc-am/7D1EBA28-C769-
> > 444D-B35F-5D5A1569D14F%40aol.com https://groups.google.com/d/
> > msgid/nrc-am/7D1EBA28-C769-444D-B35F-5D5A1569D14F%40aol.com <
> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nrc-am/7D1EBA28-C769-
> > 444D-B35F-5D5A1569D14F%40aol.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nrc-am/7D1EBA28-C769-
> > 444D-B35F-5D5A1569D14F%40aol.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer > .
> > >> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
> > https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> _______________________________________________
> > >> IRCA mailing list
> > >> IRCA@hard-core-dx.com mailto:IRCA@hard-core-dx.com
> > >> http://montreal.kotalampi.com/mailman/listinfo/irca
> > >>
> > >> Opinions expressed in messages on this mailing list are those of the
> > original contributors and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the
> > IRCA, its editors, publishing staff, or officers
> > >>
> > >> For more information: http://www.ircaonline.org
> > >>
> > >> To Post a message: irca@hard-core-dx.com mailto:
> > irca@hard-core-dx.com
> > >>
> > >>
> > >
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > IRCA mailing list
> > > IRCA@hard-core-dx.com
> > > http://montreal.kotalampi.com/mailman/listinfo/irca
> > >
> > > Opinions expressed in messages on this mailing list are those of the
> > original contributors and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the
> > IRCA, its editors, publishing staff, or officers
> > >
> > > For more information: http://www.ircaonline.org
> > >
> > > To Post a message: irca@hard-core-dx.com
> > >
> > _______________________________________________
> > IRCA mailing list
> > IRCA@hard-core-dx.com
> > http://montreal.kotalampi.com/mailman/listinfo/irca
> >
> > Opinions expressed in messages on this mailing list are those of the
> > original contributors and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the
> > IRCA, its editors, publishing staff, or officers
> >
> > For more information: http://www.ircaonline.org
> >
> > To Post a message: irca@hard-core-dx.com
> >
> >
> _______________________________________________
> IRCA mailing list
> IRCA@hard-core-dx.com
> http://montreal.kotalampi.com/mailman/listinfo/irca
>
> Opinions expressed in messages on this mailing list are those of the original contributors and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the IRCA, its editors, publishing staff, or officers
>
> For more information: http://www.ircaonline.org
>
> To Post a message: irca@hard-core-dx.com
>

 

FS Sony ICF-2001  View Printable Version 
Wednesday, August 01 2018

IRCA
I spotted this for sale locally -- no connection with seller. I mention it
as it may be an in-demand item...

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/ele/d/radio-sony-icf-2001-fm-am-pll/6649393819.html

And as I am leaving town shortly I cannot offer any support on this, sorry

EricF
Vancouver
but soon back to Ottawa

 

HOT TECH TALK AT IRCA  View Printable Version 
Tuesday, July 31 2018

IRCA
This yearâs IRCA Convention offers camaraderie, conversation and stations
tours, as well as a really useful line-up
of discussions on âHands-on DX-ing,â as DX friends share approaches and
experiences. While the science may
be improving, the bands havenât gotten any easier to sort through. At IRCA
2018 weâll share interactive discussions


that provide techniques and tools for added DX-ing advantage.

Topics include 2017 solar eclipse highlights from western America, KD9SV vs.
Cat-5 Beverages for hearing trans-oceanic
DX "over the shoulder," tips and triumphs from MW phasing methodology, hands
on with the âFrequent-Flyer FSL,â
another look at Cat-5 as a legitimate antenna and some fascinating
personal-experience stories from Bruce Portzer
and the Florissant Valley Dial Twister. Group discussions include a look at
trans-polar DX possibilities during


the upcoming solar minimum.

Be there! Learn from and contribute to the dialogue!

RememberâIRCA-member registration is FREE!

The âTech-Talkâ Staff

Eric Bueneman
Phil Bytheway
Mark Durenberger
Nick Hall-Patch
Neil Kazaross
Bruce Portzerâ

 

TP 30 Jul Victoria version.  View Printable Version 
Tuesday, July 31 2018

IRCA
Quite a big bounce back for DUs this morning, though difficult to get parallels for likely ABC stations with the fading patterns, it seemed.

pretty darn good audio (all of it understandable by a native speaker, at least briefly):

612 and 576 came close


Reasonable audio at times during the period (much of it understandable by a native speaker, though often battling w/splash or noise):

576 2RN assumed; man DU English 1221UT interviewing another man about trade wars

612 4QR man in DU English //594 1211UT


not so reasonable audio, occasional words or phrases in splash or noise could be understood by a native speaker:

594 3WV man DU English 1208UT, no parallel until 1211UT //612 when 594 was weaker

909 Star assumed, female choral music 1232-3UT, no parallels

1017 Tonga assumed with choral music 1205UT

Burbles in the splatter and noise (if lucky, language might be guessed at by cadence of talk, or parallel established by changes in talk or music)

567 slow instrumental music 1137UT, RNZ National? no parallelsl

603 R. Waatea. Very poor, man talking //765 1141UT, another station there with light music.

702 man talking DU English intonation 1203UT, no parallel available

738 man talking DU English intonation 1144UT, no parallel available

756 man DU English intonation 1204UT, assumed RNZ National

765 R. Kahungunu. man talking, //with nearly imaginary 603

774 man talking DU English intonation 1107UT

828 man talking DU English intonation 1142UT


Strongish het, no or "near imaginary" audio (either undermodulated or ravaged by splatter)

693 774 972 1242 1287 1566 seemed to be Asian;
549 585 621 675 837 882 891 1503 seemed to be DU

best wishes,

Nick


Nick Hall-Patch
Victoria, BC
Canada

 

LINK FOR XHDATA D-808 PURCHASE  View Printable Version 
Tuesday, July 31 2018

IRCA
Really enjoying mine so far

The audio characteristics match my ears better than any radio have.

The most annoying thing is that the kickstand is far too short. You canât read display. My easy solution was to clip a clothespin to the center of kickstand for additional length needed. Works great

Russ Johnson
Lexington NC

> On Jul 29, 2018, at 7:18 PM, Gary DeBock <d1028gary@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> Thanks Craig,
>
> Unfortunately that seller has never offered to ship the model to either the USA or Canada, despite the fact that he will ship it to Mexico for free (go figure?).
>
> This is almost certainly related to the fact that a lot of the XHDATA D-808 circuitry was "reverse engineered" from the C.Crane Skywave SSB model, and the company is reluctant to risk a copyright lawsuit by selling the model openly in North America. The eBay seller offering the model at $ 112 tries to avoid this issue by shipping through Israel-- and he is apparently doing a booming business by coming up with this solution.
>
> 73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)
>
>
>> On July 29, 2018 at 3:19 PM C B <bevdxer@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> This Ebay seller has a special on the XHData D-808 for a couple more days:
>>
>>
>> XHDATA D 808 Portable Digital Radio FM stereo/ SW / MW / LW SSB AIR RDS Multi Band Radio Speaker with LCD Display Alarm Clock-in Radio from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Tecsun-PL-398MP-2-2-Full-Band-Digital-Tuning-Stereo-Radio-Receiver-w-Stand-and-MP3/1504908567.html
>>
>> $ 79.78
>> XHDATA D 808 Portable Digital Radio FM stereo/ SW / MW / LW SSB AIR RDS ...
>>
>> Cheap radio fm stereo, Buy Quality fm stereo directly from China portable digital radio Suppliers: XHDATA D-808 ... https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Tecsun-PL-398MP-2-2-Full-Band-Digital-Tuning-Stereo-Radio-Receiver-w-Stand-and-MP3/1504908567.html
>>
>>
>> 73,
>>
>> Craig Barnes
>> Wheat Ridge, CO
>>
>> On Sunday, July 29, 2018, 3:51:01 PM MDT, shaftan@earthlink.net <shaftan@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>>
>> https://www.ebay.com/itm/XHDATA-D-808-Portable-Digital-Radio-FM-stereo-SW-MW-LW-SSB-RDS-Air-Band-LCD/263589135532
>>
>>
>>
>> I got mine here.
>>
>>
>>
>> Rick S., Rodanthe NC OBX FM25go
>>
>>
>>
>> From: fpeconsultant@aol.com mailto:fpeconsultant@aol.com < fpeconsultant@aol.com mailto:fpeconsultant@aol.com >
>> Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2018 5:12 PM
>> To: Gary DeBock < d1028gary@comcast.net mailto:d1028gary@comcast.net >
>> Cc: < shaftan@earthlink.net mailto:shaftan@earthlink.net > < shaftan@earthlink.net mailto:shaftan@earthlink.net >; America, Mailing < irca@hard-core-dx.com mailto:irca@hard-core-dx.com >
>> Subject: Re: [nrc-am] XHDATA D-808-- The Summer Travel "Smoke Test"
>>
>>
>>
>> Hello again & thx for the info on the loop stick vs the Select A Tenna..
>>
>> I have heard that the lithium battery can't be shipped to the USA & is tough to obtain as well.
>>
>> Does anyone know if this is the case?
>>
>> Thx again
>>
>> Rich
>>
>>
>> On Jul 29, 2018, at 0:31, Gary DeBock < d1028gary@comcast.net mailto:d1028gary@comcast.net <mailto: d1028gary@comcast.net mailto:d1028gary@comcast.net > > wrote:
>>
>> Hello Rich,
>>
>> <<< I have been seeing a lot about this radio & am considering buying one - many posts mention a loop stick - my assumption is that this doesn't come with the radio & people build them. Can someone tell me if this is so & would using an old school Super Select-a-tenna give me similar results? >>>
>>
>> Although the stock XHDATA D-808 model already provides good AM sensitivity with its 3 7/8" (97mm) loopstick, its performance can be dramatically boosted by replacing the stock loopstick with an externally-mounted 7.5" transplant. A photo of such an enhanced D-808 model is posted at https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/vk26lkhhu77q8buzuaido03fmy5s7xst
>>
>> This 7.5" transplant loopstick is the same one used for "supercharging" the Tecsun PL-380 model, as described in the construction article posted at http://www.mediafire.com/file/du3sr5cd9thqvau/7.5inch-LS-PL380.doc/file http://www.mediafire.com/file/du3sr5cd9thqvau/7.5inch-LS-PL380.doc/file The enhanced D-808 model would have AM sensitivity similar to that of a stock D-808 + Select-a-Tenna combo, but would not require peaking the external antenna every time a frequency is changed. This is a huge advantage for quick and easy "travel DXing."
>>
>> 73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> On July 28, 2018 at 4:36 PM fpeconsultant via NRC-AM < nrc-am@googlegroups.com mailto:nrc-am@googlegroups.com <mailto: nrc-am@googlegroups.com mailto:nrc-am@googlegroups.com > > wrote:
>>
>> Hello - I have been seeing a lot about this radio & am considering buying one - many posts mention a loop stick - my assumption is that this doesn't come with the radio & people build them. Can someone tell me if this is so & would using an old school Super Select-a-tenna give me similar results?
>>
>> Thx
>>
>> Rich
>>
>>
>> On Jul 28, 2018, at 14:09, < shaftan@earthlink.net mailto:shaftan@earthlink.net <mailto: shaftan@earthlink.net mailto:shaftan@earthlink.net > > wrote:
>>
>> This is the best portable Iâve seen yet.
>>
>>
>>
>> Rick Shaftan
>>
>> Rodanthe NC OBX FM25go
>>
>>
>>
>> From: nrc-am@googlegroups.com mailto:nrc-am@googlegroups.com <mailto: nrc-am@googlegroups.com mailto:nrc-am@googlegroups.com > < nrc-am@googlegroups.com mailto:nrc-am@googlegroups.com <mailto: nrc-am@googlegroups.com mailto:nrc-am@googlegroups.com > > On Behalf Of Gary DeBock
>> Sent: Friday, July 27, 2018 1:18 AM
>> To: America, Mailing < irca@hard-core-dx.com mailto:irca@hard-core-dx.com <mailto: irca@hard-core-dx.com mailto:irca@hard-core-dx.com > >; NRC < nrc-am@googlegroups.com mailto:nrc-am@googlegroups.com <mailto: nrc-am@googlegroups.com mailto:nrc-am@googlegroups.com > >
>> Subject: [nrc-am] XHDATA D-808-- The Summer Travel "Smoke Test"
>>
>>
>>
>> Detailed information concerning the new, Chinese-made XHDATA D-808 AM-LW-FM-SW-AIR portable has been posted previously, including its hot-performing AM-DXing loopstick, SSB capability and rechargeable lithium-ion battery. This model was "inspired" (to be generous) by the C.Crane Skywave SSB model, which was manufactured in the nearby Redsun factories in China-- with the first model sold a few months before the D-808 was "reverse-engineered."
>>
>> As reported previously, the D-808 makes a few significant improvements over the Skywave SSB model-- a longer, more sensitive AM loopstick, a much stronger audio amplifier, and a much lower price ($ 112 on eBay, versus $ 169.99 for the Skywave SSB). After a few months with the company declining to ship to North American customers (apparently to avoid a copyright lawsuit because of the SSB circuitry, identical to that of the Skywave SSB), a single Chinese eBay seller is now doing a booming business, shipping the model to North American customers through Israel.
>>
>> After performing two MW and one Longwave 7.5" loopstick transplants on the D-808 model, I can confirm that the model is well engineered (or maybe well reverse engineered?), with the loopstick connections on the RF circuit board unusually accessible, and ideal for soldering larger diameter Litz wire. There are actually two terminal connections for this purpose-- most likely to make it easy for the XHDATA engineers to test out various loopsticks.
>>
>> And a loopstick transplant on the D-808 may be easier to contemplate if you consider the fact that you will not be violating the XHDATA warranty by replacing the loopstick. Why not? Because there is no evidence of any XHDATA warranty on the model, either online, or in the documents shipped along with the portable :-)
>>
>> As such, I thought I would submit a D-808 model to a very rough break-in test during extensive summer travel these past two weeks. A 7.5" MW loopstick D-808 model was taken along during road trips to eastern Washington (complete with 100 degree F/ 43 degree C temperatures), rough mountain roads (on Mount Rainier, Mount Baker and Hurricane Ridge) and a visit to Vancouver, BC.
>>
>> Once the supplied 3.7v Lithium Ion battery is fully charged (via a supplied USB-type connector cord), the battery provides exceptional run time. I was able to use it for many hours of DXing over two weeks, with no apparent loss of power. The audio amp delivers a lot of response, even when signals are weak. It takes a little time getting used to the volume control being on the left side when the tuning control is on the right, but you catch on pretty quick. The enhanced 7.5" MW loopstick model is like the "King of Compact Portables," with sensitivity enough to dig out practically everything that any other portable on the planet could come up with-- with SSB capability and multiple DSP filtering selections to boot. For someone making an overseas trip or extended travel from home, it would be a dream portable. This is the first radio to use the full capabilities of the American-engineered Si4735 DSP chip-- with exceptional results.
>>
>> What finally got my undivided attention, though, was when the model was accidentally left in the trunk during our visit to Ellensburg, WA-- a location famous for 100 degree days in July. Multiple items in the trunk (shampoo, food, electric shavers, etc.) were zapped by the 104 degree temperature inside the trunk, and were either ruined, or refused to operate. As I turned on the burning-hot D-808 model I certainly expected the worst, especially when the temperature indicator showed "43 degrees C." Much to my astonishment the model performed flawlessly, though, delivering an S9 signal from the Snoqualmie Pass TIS station on 1610 kHz. Not once had the D-808 missed a beat over a tough two weeks, which included quite a few rough bumps, extremely hot days and long DXing hours. Despite the rather dubious design pedigree and lack of any manufacturer's warranty the D-808 had gained my respect as a hot-performing AM-DXing portable, ready to perform and persevere when conditions are rough. Although it's not an Ultralight radio, it certainly is an exceptional portable for the price.
>>
>>
>>
>> 73 and Good DX,
>>
>> Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "NRC-AM" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to nrc-am+ unsubscribe@googlegroups.com mailto:unsubscribe@googlegroups.com <mailto:nrc-am+ unsubscribe@googlegroups.com mailto:unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > .
>> To post to this group, send email to nrc-am@googlegroups.com mailto:nrc-am@googlegroups.com <mailto: nrc-am@googlegroups.com mailto:nrc-am@googlegroups.com > .
>> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nrc-am/1975174617.747276.1532668667513%40connect.xfinity.com https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nrc-am/1975174617.747276.1532668667513%40connect.xfinity.com < https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nrc-am/1975174617.747276.1532668667513%40connect.xfinity.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nrc-am/1975174617.747276.1532668667513%40connect.xfinity.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer > .
>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>>
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "NRC-AM" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to nrc-am+ unsubscribe@googlegroups.com mailto:unsubscribe@googlegroups.com <mailto:nrc-am+ unsubscribe@googlegroups.com mailto:unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > .
>> To post to this group, send email to nrc-am@googlegroups.com mailto:nrc-am@googlegroups.com <mailto: nrc-am@googlegroups.com mailto:nrc-am@googlegroups.com > .
>> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nrc-am/1ae001d4267c%2498c981d0%24ca5c8570%24%40earthlink.net https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nrc-am/1ae001d4267c%2498c981d0%24ca5c8570%24%40earthlink.net < https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nrc-am/1ae001d4267c%2498c981d0%24ca5c8570%24%40earthlink.net?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nrc-am/1ae001d4267c%2498c981d0%24ca5c8570%24%40earthlink.net?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer > .
>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "NRC-AM" group.
>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to nrc-am+ unsubscribe@googlegroups.com mailto:unsubscribe@googlegroups.com <mailto:nrc-am+ unsubscribe@googlegroups.com mailto:unsubscribe@googlegroups.com > .
>> To post to this group, send email to nrc-am@googlegroups.com mailto:nrc-am@googlegroups.com <mailto: nrc-am@googlegroups.com mailto:nrc-am@googlegroups.com > .
>> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nrc-am/7D1EBA28-C769-444D-B35F-5D5A1569D14F%40aol.com https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nrc-am/7D1EBA28-C769-444D-B35F-5D5A1569D14F%40aol.com < https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nrc-am/7D1EBA28-C769-444D-B35F-5D5A1569D14F%40aol.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nrc-am/7D1EBA28-C769-444D-B35F-5D5A1569D14F%40aol.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer > .
>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout. https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> IRCA mailing list
>> IRCA@hard-core-dx.com mailto:IRCA@hard-core-dx.com
>> http://montreal.kotalampi.com/mailman/listinfo/irca
>>
>> Opinions expressed in messages on this mailing list are those of the original contributors and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the IRCA, its editors, publishing staff, or officers
>>
>> For more information: http://www.ircaonline.org
>>
>> To Post a message: irca@hard-core-dx.com mailto:irca@hard-core-dx.com
>>
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> IRCA mailing list
> IRCA@hard-core-dx.com
> http://montreal.kotalampi.com/mailman/listinfo/irca
>
> Opinions expressed in messages on this mailing list are those of the original contributors and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the IRCA, its editors, publishing staff, or officers
>
> For more information: http://www.ircaonline.org
>
> To Post a message: irca@hard-core-dx.com
>

 

Previous 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 Next
IRCA
Hard-Core-DX.com IRCA Channel is provided by:
.


Join IRCA!


DX Search Engine



Radio Portal
is a highly specialized seach engine for radio aficionados.

More
on how best to use Radio Portal.


This page was created in 1.31 seconds