Re: [IRCA] IRCA Digest, Vol 31, Issue 147

Re: [IRCA] IRCA Digest, Vol 31, Issue 147

Correct, Walt. Even though it was a "pure sine" inverter meant for sensitive
electronics, and was described as having good RFI filtering, it radiated
badly, just like the basic (square wave) models. All my attempts at
completely shielding it with an extra outer metal box, grounding it, using
3-wire shielded output wire, adding extra ferrite shielding to the I/O
leads, and keeping the unit 40 feet way from my DXpedition setup and
antennas failed. I still picked up considerable noise on MW and lower
shortwave with the RA6790GM I was using at the time.

My practice continues to be using RV deep-cycle batteries for powering gear
on DC-only DXpeditions. It's fairly easy to run two of these in series (or
two 12VDC gell cells) for 24 volts, and then use an appropriate "LM78"
series linear voltage regulator & heat sink to lower the voltage to what's
needed by a laptop computer or other device.

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA
www.sdr-1000.blogspot.com