Re: [IRCA] Beverage antenna

At 12:41 AM 6/4/2007 -0700, you wrote:

>Charlie,
>
>I think I discovered my biggest issue with the beverage that the ground
>rods at the end were in horrible shape. I added a new 5 foot one (copper
>pipe), and directivity seems better tonight. I may add a second rod a
>bit later. Stay tuned....
>
>73,
>
>Patrick

Patrick,

I guess you mean that the copper was corroded. I believe that the typical
rods are copper-clad steel. I guess once the salt corrodes off the cop-
per, it rusts the steel.

Have you tried 8-foot rods? Another idea would be to coil large-gauge
aluminum wire around the rod and clamp the Al wire in with the feed
wire at the top of the rod. I think aluminum fares better in salt,
while it's close enough to copper and iron on the scale of elements
that it won't react with either.

Don't know if you want to go to that much trouble.

Hey: Watch your spelling! Your spelling and construction of sentences
is sometimes wanting. Think you're being careless. I don't see any
deterioration of mental processes...not like me about a year ago!

Take care of yourself, ole buddy!

Charles

   Charles A Taylor, WD4INP
  Greenville, North Carolina