Re: [IRCA] 1120 Yelm Wa.

Patrick Martin wrote:
That looks like a CP to cover Tacoma/Seattle, and it should be
directional North/NW/NE. Probably with 6 KW with a directional pattern
North, may give them a heavy ERP, but KPNW will still be a factor in the
fringe areas I am sure. KPNW does sends a lot of signal South too.

There's no need to guess about what it will be. It's all set out very clearly in the application.

Here's their coverage map:

https://licensing.fcc.gov/cdbs/CDBS_Attachment/getattachment.jsp?appn=101311673&qnum=5120&copynum=1&exhcnum=1

And a shorter link:

http://bit.ly/yelm1120

Look at exhibit 12-1 to see what the Yelm daytime coverage will look like. Even the daytime 5 mV/m contour falls short of Olympia and Tacoma, and it actually has a null toward Seattle as a result of the protection it has to provide to CKWX and to Whidbey Island on 1110. It's not aimed north - it's a figure 8 with lobes WNW and ESE and nulls N and S.

Exhibit 12-2 shows where the fringe (0.5 mV/m) daytime coverage will be. This thing won't be even close to listenable anywhere in King County, and will be rough even in Tacoma.

At night, the only really usable coverage will be in Yelm and North Yelm. That's not to say it won't be DX'able from elsewhere, but for your average AM listener in Olympia or Tacoma, Yelm 1120 will simply go away at sunset, replaced by KPNW.

And to clarify the way the rules work: KPNW doesn't have to do anything to protect the new Yelm signal. KPNW was there first, and Yelm has to squeeze its way in around the existing KPNW signal.

This all assumes that this signal even gets built; the weakening of the economy has shaken out a lot of marginal signals that might have been worth building a decade ago, but aren't worth it now.

If I held this CP, I don't think I could justify building it. A three-tower DA doesn't come cheap, and I don't think there's enough business in Yelm to make this worthwhile as a hyper-local station...or enough usable coverage even in Olympia to make it viable there.