[IRCA] China heard earlier today on 1098

[IRCA] China heard earlier today on 1098

I've just heard for the second time CNR at 1098 KHz likely from the 1000 Kw Golmud transmitter. The first and only time I heard them was in December of 2010. The band was quiet enough tonight and with the help of the phaser, the noise floor was kept between -115 and 120 dBm. Along with appropriate propagation, I could hear again this Chinese station. Surprisingly, there wasn't too much TA action at the time of the recording. The following is a dialog apparently in Chinese between a man and a woman and it was recorded on Jan 8 at 21:50 UT (16:50 EST):

http://www.quebecdx.com/mp3/china_1098a.mp3

A bit later, seconds before ToH, I had which appears to be Chinese traditional music but unfortunately, a loud splatter ruined some potential ID announcement. Minutes after that, they played Chinese disco. In the first part of the following clip, here's that Chinese folk music (21:59 UTC) followed by the Chinese disco (heard at 22:14 UTC) from sec 43:

http://www.quebecdx.com/mp3/china_1098b.mp3

The bearing from Quebec City to Golmud, China is 11 degrees and distance is 10615 Km / 6700 Miles

This morning (around 05:30 UT), I had interesting conditions for TAs especially on the higher part of the band. A second station was mixing with France 1557 which is a rarity and it happened to be Gold from the UK. I had a parallel with Gold Manchester on 1458 which is quite seldom as well here. I'm also happy to have logged for the first time the new French station, Radio Bretagne 5 on 1593 KHz while they're still in test. Music is mainly heard with some short IDs. On the following clip, you'll hear the woman saying "...Vous êtes à l'écoute d'une émission test diffusée depuis l'émetteur de Saint-Gouéno sur la fréquence 1593 KHz" (You are listening to a test program from the Saint-Gouéno transmitter on the 1593 KHz frequency):

http://www.quebecdx.com/mp3/france_bretagne5_1593.mp3

At least, something to cheer about :-)

Good dx!

Sylvain Naud
Portneuf, QC

rx: Perseus
ant: 1500 ft terminated Beverage @ 35 degrees to Northern Europe (for the Chinese catch) ant: 950 ft terminated Beverage @ 55 degrees to Europe & the Middle East (for the high band catches)
ant: 100 ft long wire used for phasing purpose
MFJ-1026 phaser with LF mods