NEWS: Canadian MW stations

Categories: ADMIN, BULLETIN, CONDITION, CONTEST, EQUIPMENT, FM, INTERNET,
LIST, LOG, MEETING, NEWS, OFF-TOPIC, PIRATE, POLITICS, PUBLICATION,
SCHEDULE, QSL, QUESTION. For more information, please check
http://www.iki.fi/rko/hard-core-dx/ or email Risto Kotalampi, rko@xxxxxxx

>>From 72777.3143@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  Wed Sep 17 15:39:57 1997
>Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 09:29:34 -0400
>From: Doug Smith <72777.3143@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: A long weekend on Me
>To: BlindCopyReceiver:;@compuserve.com
>
>I expect it will take several months for the new FM transmitters to be
>built.  (although masts and antennas are already in place, as the CBC
>already operates two additional services on FM in each of these cities.
>The Toronto frequency was used for many years by a commercial station,
>which failed in the late 1980s, but I believe their transmitter is still in
>place.) And, once FM transmissions begin, the MW transmitters will remain on
>the air for a 6-month transition period.  So I would expect these CBC/R.
>Canada MW stations to remain in operation until at least March 1998.
>
>You can read current news of Canadian broadcasting at
>"www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/news/whatsnew.htm".  There are also pages in French but I
>don't know the URL.
>
>I don't know, but I believe other MW stations in these cities will ask for
>the vacated frequencies.  For example, many people believe 1010 CFRB will ask
>to move to 740KHz when CBC goes silent.  If that happens, some other Toronto
>station will probably request the 1010 frequency.  Again, all this will
>require several months, but I would expect the Canadian MW dial to be very
>different by 1999..
>
>Digital radio is also starting in Canada's largest cities this month.  If the
>Canadian people buy lots of digital radios, the MW frequencies may indeed
>remain silent.  But there is almost no interest in digital radio in the USA,
>so I think the price of a digital radio in Canada will remain high.
>
>73 Doug

Re: stations like 940 CBM, 980 CBV etc. (PP).