[HCDX] DAT vs. MD

>  From:    sigint@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (T. Bankson Roach)

>  Another favorite hobby device is the Sony TCD-D7 DAT recorder. With this

Also used such a nice machine for quite a while, and it really was highly
effective. But then I changed to a portable MiniDisc-recorder, which costs
much less, consumes much less power, and also offers the possibility to
record the exact date and time of the reception (at least some models).
Furthermore, MiniDiscs are a lot cheaper than DAT tapes (at least here in
Europe) and provide nice possibilities for editing the recordings. One
MiniDisc gives you 148 minutes of recording time (mono; 74 minutes in
stereo). You can give each recording a name, which will then appear on the
display of the recorder. When it comes to taping highly complicated digital
modes, however, a DAT recorder seemingly still is the better choice.

>  to the receiver the HF-1000 is. I hope someday to make a comparison of
>  the TenTec RX340 to the Watkins Johnson. As good as the WJ is, I'll bet
>  the RX340 is better. Time marches on!

It certainly does. On the other hand, the RX340 kind of looks quite similar
to the HF-1000. And when WJ stopped the HF-1000, soon after the RX340 was
announced. Any conclusions?

vy73
Harald