Re: [HCDX] DAT vs. MD

----- Original Message -----
From: "T. Bankson Roach" <sigint@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <hard-core-dx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, July 23, 2000 9:08 AM
Subject: Re: [HCDX] DAT vs. MD

Actually, I have had a TT340 for two weeks now. It **does** benefit from the
SE-3, particularly since
the PBT is **not yet** enabled on the TT340 for SAM.  According to Robert
Sherwood, the SE-3 level is -10dB, same as the setting for the HF1000A. So I
was able to rob one off one of the hf1000As for direct TT340/SE-3 vs
hf1000a/SE-3 (using a Stridsberg splitter so the signal was the same).  All
tests were done off beverages, EWEs and Pennants. It makes enough of a
difference for DXing weak signals that I have ordered one from Sherwood for
use on the TT340!

There are many differences betweent the two receivers. There were cases
where the TT340 "heard" weak DX better than the HF1000A/SE-3 - especially in
LSB/USB using PBT,  and other cases where the TT340 was deaf (example: 3305
R Western) while the HF1000A heard the signal.

The TT340 PBT in conjunction with LSB/USB was outstanding for improving the
signal for 9kHz spacing MW when adjacent to 10kHz US/Canadian signals
(example: Tahiti on 738 with a very strong PNW station on 740), Fiji on
1467, Tonga on 1017. All from the WCNA.

There are two known microcode bugs (one found by R. Sherwood in the SSB/DSP
microcode, and one by myself in the memory storage on SAM. I have one more
"sighting" that I have not yet characterized).

I've just published a detailed review of the TT340 vs the HF1000A to the
premium receiver group. I will be more than happy to forward this to any one
that requests it.