Re: [HCDX] Attachments to mails

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Don Lodge wrote:

> Dear Friends
> So we have had another virus scare.  Wouldn't it be a good idea if HCDX
> forbade the use of attachments.  I cannot really see the need to send
> anything other than plain text for the sort of traffic we send.  If nobody
> used attachments, we would know an attachments we did receive were suspect.
> If somebody wants to send an MP3 or similar of a logging, that can be sent
> directly between DXers.
> It would also keep our telephone bills down.  No more large files.
> What do others think?

I think it's a fine idea.  At Cumbre DX, a reminder has just been issued
to contributors that the bulletin does not accept messages with
attachments, and that this is precisely to prevent the spread of viruses.
For just sending loggings or making comments, plain text is all we really
need.  I was lucky enough that my computer was not affected by the virus
on the WGTG message, but we really should not be relying on luck alone.  A
little common sense can prevent a lot of problems.

73--
Marie Lamb