RE: [HCDX] Attachments to mails

> > Wouldn't it be a good idea if HCDX
> > forbade the use of attachments.  I cannot really see the need to send
> > anything other than plain text for the sort of traffic we send.
>
> I think it's a fine idea.  At Cumbre DX, a reminder has just been issued
> to contributors that the bulletin does not accept messages with
> attachments, and that this is precisely to prevent the spread of viruses.

Yes it's a good idea to forbid attachments, but this is not going far enough
to prevent infection.  We must also ban HTML-mails because they can include
embedded vbs-scripts.

In fact the attachment from WGTG was a HTML message.  If it had been
forwarded, instead of attaching it, nobody would notice that it had a
vbs-script included, before opening or scanning.

I opened it on an outlook 98 mailer (non-express) but was not infected.  I
got a message that the vbs could not be completed because there was an error
in the script.  Although, I got that message, I downloaded the newest
dat-file for my McAfee virscan.  Nothing was found.  But ! if you opened the
message and got no error-message on one ore another outlook mailer, you are
most probably infected.

Guido.