Re: [HCDX] NBC critisied on Olympics coverage from and Aussie point of view

Re: [HCDX] NBC critisied on Olympics coverage from and Aussie point of view

> Yes, it seems that NBC's approach is that it won't show anything until
> they have had a chance to review the tapes and ensure that it is
> repackaged in it's "desired" format. After all, live TV can screw up
> plans!

Such as an American not winning a gold medal :)

> I am not sure how little live coverage that NBC has, since I have been
> able to watch the better coverage on CBC. An example of their approach
> was that while watching the women's marathon on Saturday night at supper
> time, I turned over to NBC and saw that their coverage would be at noon
> on Sunday. I can see delaying events that might be occurring at 3 in the
> morning local time, but delaying prime time stuff. Sounds like a way to
> lose audience to me.

I was watching that too, and was wondering why NBC couldn't cover it live.
The marathon is a major event.  But NBC would have had to pre-empt the
almighty college football.

NBC is supporting Toronto's bid for the 2008 Olympics mainly because Toronto
is in the Eastern time zone.  Nonetheless, Beijing is probably a lead-pipe
cinch to get the '08 games.  Toronto also bid for the 1996 games, which were
awarded to Atlanta.  BTW, Canada is one of the few countries to have hosted
both a winter and a summer Olympics (USA, France, Japan, Italy are the
others).

It's a real drag that BBC had to pull their Real Audio.  I've been listening
to BBCWS at work via Real Audio, and now for the duration of the Games I
have had to seek out other Real Audio streams (such as all-sports stations,
like WQAM Miami and WQXI Atlanta).  I work in a concrete bunker of an office
building.  Getting anything on SW would be impossible, even if I put the
radio next to the window.  Money talks.  Or in this case, money silences the
web.

73
Mike Brooker
99 Wychcrest Ave.,