[HCDX] Queen Charlotte loggings 7July, 2005

[HCDX] Queen Charlotte loggings 7July, 2005

The best morning so far, totally dominated by Japan.  Unfortunately this is
my last logging from the Charlottes for the time being.  We're leaving for
the mainland at 23:00 tonight, and should be home in Victoria Saturday night.

180 RUSSIA Radio Rossii, Petropavlovsk, Jul 7 11:57 - A miuch better
morning right from the start!  Good signal levels from this channel.  Most
of the other Russian far east stations on LW are blocked by numerous
aeronautical beacons. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

590 CANADA ?CFTK, Jul 7 04:50 - I've never noticed this before but 590 runs
in parallel to 560.  Both are strong here, with 560 being a bit more
powerful.  I never did hear any legal IDs, other than a generic ID as,
'Only one station plays your music, the Mix'.  I wondered about a receiver
image or spur, but this is not the case.  590 is a fraction of a second
ahead of 560.  When they break for ads, the two stations play different
ads, and then resume the feed.  I don't have my WRTH, so don't know the
exact details.  These two stations wipe out any possible Alaskans (KVOK,
Kodiak and KHAR, Anchorage) unfortunately. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen
Charlotte Is, BC)

693 JAPAN JOAB, Tokyo, Jul 7 11:59 - Three + one time pips at fair to good
level with NHK2 programming.  Parallel to 747 JOIB, Sapporo (poor/fair),
and 774 JOUB, Akita (fair). (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

700 ALASKA KBYR, Anchorage, Jul 7 12:59 - Finally got an ID through some
local hash, as 'Talk Radio, KBYR'.  Good reception otherwise. (Salmaniw,
Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

770 ALASKA KCHU, Valdez, Jul 7 13:30 - NPR news at 13:30.  No local ID at
14:00 and went into NPR news again.  Finally ID'd for KCHU, Valdez at
14:49. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

837 JAPAN JOQK, Nigata, Jul 7 12:05 - Fair reception of NHK1 programming.
Parallel to 891 JOHK, Sendai (fair). (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte
Is, BC)

954 JAPAN JOKR, Tokyo, Jul 7 12:10 - Strong reception of TBS, Tokyo with
sports play by play.  S6 to S7 strength.  A totally dominant Japanese
morning.  This, down in Victoria and Grayland normally happens in the fall
and winter.  Whether this is just an occasional observation or a regular
occurence remains to be seen. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

972 KOREA (SOUTH) HLCA, Jul 7 12:11 - Liberty one with Korean programming
at poor to fair levels. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

1008 NEW ZEALAND 1ZD, Tauranga, Jul 7 12:17 - The lone Kiwi station heard
today, with good reception!  Many IDs for 'Newstalk ZD'.  They were
interviewing the New Zealand PM about the London bombings. (Salmaniw, Tow
Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

1053 JAPAN JOAR, Nagoya, Jul 7 12:22 - Fair to good reception with Japanese
ads by YLs. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

1197 JAPAN NHK, Jul 7 12:30 - Good audio from one of the low power Japanese
stations, with the usual sing-song delivery by very young sounding women.
(Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

1269 JAPAN HBC, Hokkaido, Jul 7 12:35 - Either JOHW or JOFM 1 or 5 kw,
parallel to 50 kw 1287 JOHR from Sapporo (with good reception). (Salmaniw,
Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

1332 JAPAN JOSF, Nagoya, Jul 7 12:42 - Fair reception with Japanese talk by
a man and woman. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

1386 JAPAN NHK2, Jul 7 12:45 - Initially in slow English, with mention of
Australia and New Zealand, but switched to Japanese, so presumably an NHK2
station with language lessons.  Fair to good. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen
Charlotte Is, BC)

1440 JAPAN JOWF, Sapporo, Jul 7 12:47 - Strong reception in Japanese.
(Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

1503 JAPAN NHK1?, Jul 7 12:49 - A presumed logging with a radio play in
Japanese.  Good reception. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

1566 KOREA (SOUTH) HLAZ, Jul 7 12:54 - Excellent reception this morning in
Japanese. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

1584 JAPAN NHK 1, Jul 7 12:57 - Very weak but parallel to 1503.  Not sure
of location of transmitter. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

4930 SAO TOME VOA, Jul 7 05:30 - Fair reception with English VOA
programming, but lots of atmospheric static. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen
Charlotte Is, BC)