[HCDX] Loggings from the Queen Charlotte Is.

[HCDX] Loggings from the Queen Charlotte Is.

Fellas, I thought you'd be interested in some interesting loggings up here
on the Queen Charlottes, just to the south of the Alaska panhandle.  I'm
still learning the lay of the land, and my equipment.  Running battery
power, with 2 mini-Beverages of approx. 350' each.  One is N/S, and the
other is towards Australia.  Still working out the bugs, though.  Internet
access is dreadfully slow in the town of Masset, and intermittent.  The
days are very long with darkness not happening until after 23:00 local, and
light is before 0500 local.  Conditions were poor this morning, compared to
2 days previous.  On a positive note, after dxing this morning, I donned my
wet suit, and went out into the ocean to catch some big Dungeness crab,
abundant in these waters (very cold, but nice with the wet suit).  I'll be
trying for Australia on MW more often, as well as Alaska.  Here is a
selection of my loggings.  Good dx to you all!...........Walt Salmaniw,
near Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC, Canada.

208 ALASKA OYN Nome, Alaska, Jul 3 0508 - Loop broadcast of this NDB at
fair level stating that the pilot weather briefings are suspended until
1400Z (0600 local).  Rare to hear these taped loops further south.
(Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

393 ALASKA TOG Togiak, Ak, Jul 3 0511 - ATIS information from presumed
Togiak, Ak at poor to fair level. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

580 ALASKA KRSA, Petersburg, Jul 5 06:02 - Local weather, followed by ID:
'Making a difference, KRSA'.  Very good reception.  Usually heard all day,
at fair levels, better in the evenings, but with cochannel stations, but
best during our local mornings with excellent reception in the
clear.  Mostly religious programming. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte
Is, BC)

580 ALASKA KRSA Petersburg, Jul 3 14:20 - Excellent reception with
inspirational Christian music. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

630 ALASKA KJNO, Jul 3 14:00 - As the morning progresses, and the
trans-Pacific stations, and mainland US stations fade, I started to listen
for the more local Alaskans.  First heard was KJNO from Juneau, with
'Capitol Radio' and KJNO IDs.  Multiple ads for local businesses at 14:22
including one for 'the sweet sound of a chain saw'.  'Talk Radio KJNO' at
14:23:30.  Good reception. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

650 ALASKA KENI, Anchorage, Jul 3 14:29 - ABC news Perspective program at
14:29.  'Newsradio 650, KENI' ID at 14:31 at fair reception. (Salmaniw, Tow
Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

684 FIJI Radio Fiji 1, Jul 3 12:20 - Presumed logging with islands music
with fair audio.  First logging this morning using a hastily laid N/S
mini-Beverage of 350' length.  Not ideal, but a start. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill,
Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

702 AUSTRALIA? 2BL, ABC Sydney., Jul 5 12:30 - Overall a very poor
morning.  Unfortunately, my new Australian Beverage is not working (the
matching transformer had a loose connection).  The 350/170 degree Beverage
had to do.  Not nearly as good as a couple of days ago.  Yesterday morning
I was unable to DX due to the batteries falling to about 7v...too low for
the AOR 7030+ to operate.  Weak audio with Australian accented dj, so a
presumed logging. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

720 HAWAII, KUAUI KUAI, Jul 3 12:21 - Another presumed logging with Hawaiin
music.  Fair reception. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

738 FRENCH POLYNESIA RFO Papeete, Jul 5 12:33 - Strongest station on the MW
band with French programming, but cochannel with a weaker station.  Don't
know who. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

738 TAHITI RFO Tahiti, Jul 3 12:15 - Good reception with French
talk.  Being closer to my N/S oriented Beverage, as expected, Papeete was
heard at reasonably good strength. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

750 ALASKA KFQD, Anchorage, Jul 5 13:21 - Fair reception with ID as, '750
newsradio KFQD'.  Public service announcements followed, and then an ad for
Alaska Tire Service. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

770 ALASKA KINY, Jul 5 13:25 - S9+ signal with oldies music, and ID at
13:37 as, 'The music connection, KINY'. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen
Charlotte Is, BC)

783 ?NEW ZEALAND 2YB Access Radio, Jul 5 12:37 - Tentative logging.  Weak
audio in English.  Not sure who else this could be. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill,
Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

790 ALASKA KCAM, Jul 5 16:42 - S6 to S7 signal strength with Country top 50
countdown. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

800 ALASKA KINY, Juneau, Jul 3 14:35 - Interesting relay of WXJ 25 Juneau
weather radio with ID at 14:40.  Continued until 13:44 with an ID as:  'The
music connection, KINY'.  Very good reception. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen
Charlotte Is, BC)

1008 AUSTRALIA 4TAB, Brisbane, Jul 3 12:25 - A tentative
logging.  Australian accented announcer with a call-in program.  Fair
reception.  Brisbane stations tend to be well heard here on the west coast
(at least in Grayland, WA), so I'm assuming the same here on the north
coast of Canada.  No ID heard. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

1287 JAPAN JOHR, Sapporo, Hokkaido, Jul 5 12:40 - Good audio with Spanish
music, which confused me for a moment, until a female dj came on with the
usual sing-song Japanese accent. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

1287 JAPAN, HOKKAIDO JOHR, Jul 3 12:33 - Presumed logging of HBC, Hokkaido
Hoso with Japanese talk and music.  Fair to good reception.  As the crow
flies, Hokkaido is not that far away from the Queen Charlottes, so good
reception is expected. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

1503 AUSTRALIA 2BS Gold, Bathurst NSW, Jul 3 12:38 - Tentative logging of
an Australian accented male at poor to fair level.  I suspect this is the
most likely, although 3KND, Melbourne or NZ could still be possible, but
less likely. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

1610 USA (PRESUMED) TIS, Jul 5 13:10 - My most interesting logging for the
morning.  TIS stations aren't usually heard here, but this morning there
was one for what sounded like:  'Whittier to Bear Valley Memorial
Tunnel'  Open 5:30 am to 11:15 pm.  Propane restricted to 100 lbs.  All
vehicles under surveillance.  Enforcement by local and state
authorities.  Thank you for driving carefully.  Speed restricted to 25
mph.  Can someone identify who this is?  I don't have any TIS stations
listed for Alaska, so I'm assuming a station in the lower 48. Help please!.
(Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

1683.21 AUSTRALIA Radio Club, Jul 3 12:43 - Presumed logging of Sydney
(Lakemba), NSW with 400w.  Listed as 24 hr Greek, although the music
sounded somewhat Arabic/middle eastern.  Weak audio. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill,
Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

1701.06 AUSTRALIA , Jul 3 12:44 - Two stations here.  I always marvel at
the strength of these flea-powered Aussies on this channel (and always
slightly off frequency).  When the rest of the band is dead, there often
still is audio on this channel to North America.  The dominant station is
Radio 1701, Brisbane with Hindi music (listed as 100w) over cochannel
probable NTC Radio 16, Silverwater, NSW with Australian accented English
programming (this one I don't normally ever hear). (Salmaniw, Tow Hill,
Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

2310 AUSTRALIA VL8A Alice Springs, Jul 3 12:55 - Very good reception with
usual ABC programming, parallel to slightly weaker 2325 VL8T Tennant Creek,
and 2485 VL8K Katherine (the latter with a ute cochannel spoiling the
frequency). (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

2959.96 INDONESIA RPDT Manggarai, Ruteng, Flores, Timor, Jul 3 12:55 - Fair
to good reception of this reliable Indo with Indonesian talk. Always very
impressive for 300w listed. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

3235 PAPUA AND NEW GUINEA Radio West New Britain, Jul 3 13:00 - S7 signal
with EZL C&W music.  No ID at the TOH.  Female DJ at 13:02 was answering a
listener's call:  'Hello?, hello?, hello?'  I couldn't make the caller out
at all. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

3249.55 KOREA (NORTH) Pyongyang Broadcasting Station, Jul 3 13:05 -
Strident Korean OM and YL.  Good reception, and parallel to much stronger
3320.17 and 6250.06 (which was also very strong except for a cochannel
intermittent buzzing utility). (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

3325.02 INDONESIA RRI Palangkaraya, Borneo, Jul 3 13:10 - Presumed logging
with Indonesian talk.  Fair to good reception. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen
Charlotte Is, BC)

3345 INDONESIA RRI Ternate, Moluccas, Jul 3 13:11 - Good reception with
Indonesian talk by a YL.  There was orchestral music  and then a choral
anthem (sure sounded like a NA), at 13:15 but then the YL came back on and
continued on with the usual Indonesian muffly audio. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill,
Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

3365 PAPUA AND NEW GUINEA Radio Milne Bay, Alotau, Jul 3 13:19 - Presumed
logging with Afro-American vocals at fair to good level. (Salmaniw, Tow
Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

3935.07 NEW ZEALAND ZLXA, Jul 3 12:50 - Much better heard here, than in
recent years in Grayland or Victoria.  Good reception with relay of
National Radio discussing American involvement in Iraq. (Salmaniw, Tow
Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

3976.05 INDONESIA RRI Pontianak, Borneo, Jul 3 13:24 - Very good reception
with EZL Indonesian music.  OM announcer accepted a call, mentioning
'program', and 'bye'.  Then several 'hello', but with no answer. Pontianak
mentioned at 13:31:20. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

4789.98 INDONESIA Radio Fak-Fak, West Papua, Jul 3 13:40 - Very good
reception with a speech being carried with clapping with excellent audio,
then back to the studio with the usual muffly audio.  Then low modulation
talk by OM with piano background.  Spoiled by CODAR. (Salmaniw, Tow Hill,
Queen Charlotte Is, BC)

4850 INDIA AIR Kohima, Jul 3 13:46 - Rather good reception, but nothing
special, in presumed Hindi with talk by YL.  'Service' mentioned.
(Salmaniw, Tow Hill, Queen Charlotte Is, BC)