[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs October 9-10, 2008

[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs October 9-10, 2008

** ARGENTINA. Tnx Ron Howard tip, looked for reactivated RAE, Oct 9 at 2257, found very weak signal on approx. 15344.8 which must be it, music playing, and accurate timesignal mixed in at 2300:00. A bit later music gave way to announcement, language uncertain. Might have been able to pull it but was inconvenient to close down TVs and computers at this moment. Earlier that UT day around 0130, I could not confirm it on 11710v which also ought to be revived. So I checked again Oct 10 at 0118 and could detect a very weak signal with music around 11710.75 or so. 11 MHz and 9 MHz bands were almost dead, except for Chile on 11665, Ecuador on 9745. 0249 recheck, still only a carrier detectable on 11710.7 or .8 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** PHILIPPINES. 9445, FEBC Manila with IS and clear ID loop in Bahasa Indonesia, 2223 past 2225 UT Oct 9, fair with some fades, grayline. But the strange thing is, FEBC is not scheduled as such on 9445, per EiBi and Aoki, just at 23-24 in Cambodian, while AIR GOS is supposed to be on 9445 until 2230! EiBi:
9445 2045-2230 IND All India Radio E  Eu  benguluru
9445 2300-2400 PHL FEBC Manila     KH SEA iba

Should have kept listening, as I later found in WRTH summer update that FEBC Indonesian is supposed to be on 9435 at 2230-2330, making me wonder if I read the frequency wrong, but I don`t think so. It shows Indonesian is daily, whilst EiBi and Aoki say on UT Saturdays this frequency-hour changes to Malay. WRTH does not have any Malay on the FEBC schedule (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** ROMANIA. RRI reliably with good signal in English to Europe and North America beyond, Oct 9 at 2228 on 7185 and somewhat better 9790, both of which must be new Galbenis with fine modulation, Romanian folk music, always a treat; 2237 mailbag reading an entry in their ``fascination of radio listening`` contest. But better tune to the low side to avoid the QRDRM from Sackville 9795-9800-9805. Also found RRI fair in French on 6130, Oct 10 at 0124 with ID and folk music (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** VENEZUELA [non]. RNV CI, via Cuba, VG on 15250 // 13680, Oct 9 at 2300 with YL announcer in English giving program summary, and also at 2304 ``Informative Short News``. She has a really heavy accent and her translations are terrible, getting in the way of following the gist, with too-literal cognates which aren`t really appropriate in English, like ``divulgation``, ``planification`` (or ``plannification``?); and ``appointed`` meaning ``he pointed out``. First item was about how there is complete freedom of expression in Venezuela, and then went on to attack the opposition, and their ties to ``oligarchic Colombian families``. So how come we hear nothing but the Chavista line on RNV??

>From the intro you might think the whole hour would be in English, but at 2310:30 into Spanish, what a relief, properly enunciated and pronounced, but of no use to monolinguals, and I had already heard plenty of propaganda. Still in Spanish at 2323; at 2328 a bit of English, but just introducing a song in --- Spanish! Thenceforward, I did not pay close attention but left it on in background and did not notice any more English before sign-off around 2400 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 15058-15084, the range covered by a buzz rather like the old BSKSA problem, Oct 10 at 1320. The only broadcast transmitter listed in this range is Abis, Egypt on 15080, which has also had its problems (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Order your WRTH 2008: