[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs October 13, 2008

[HCDX] Glenn Hauser logs October 13, 2008

** CHINA [and non]. 9845 in Mandarin, but mentioned ``VOA Chinese`` a couple times Oct 13 at 1323 and also at 1358. This frequency is normally dominated by Firedrake jamming, but not audible today, just VOA via Tinang! FD was appearing tho not as strong as usual at 1426 on 7445 vs R Taiwan International in Chinese, but for a change the victim also audible with a SAH between them (BTW, Deewa Radio in Pashto via Sri Lanka is also scheduled on 7445, surely bothered by the Chinese conflict). At 1428, Firedrake against Sound of Hope 9450, and also becoming weakly audible under VOA on 9845 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** EGYPT. 15080, weak with Arabic music, Oct 13 at 1415, no doubt the scheduled R. Cairo. No buzz as previously heard around here (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** INDONESIA. For first time in weeks, VOI actually listenable on 11786 during English broadcast, only lite het from 11785, Oct 13 tune-in at 1332, with Indonesian lessons, not much use without an accompanying text or perfect reception, which this was not. Woman was reading Indo words and phrases with English equivalents; 1336 outro of ``Let`s Speak Bahasa Indonesia``, to return next Monday, into songs. 1358 recheck, improved quality during IS, 1401 ending English, 1402 starting Malay and now in the clear (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** LIBYA. V. of Africa, 21695, trying to poke thru, Oct 13 at 1423, with bits of woman in English audible at peaks. Not as good as Spain on 21610, 21570 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MOROCCO. 15345.0, adequate signal S9+10 at 1412 Oct 12, but JBA modulation, seems Arabic music. Yet another station which puts far too little power into the sidebands and far too much into the carrier by comparison (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** NEW ZEALAND. RNZI missing from 6170, Oct 13 at 1427. Nothing either on some other frequencies it might be on instead, 7145, 9615, 9655. I should have checked at 1330 when Mailbox should have aired (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** SAUDI ARABIA. 21640, Oct 13 at 1425, poor with drumming. Only possibility listed is BSKSA in Arabic until 1500 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. WINB already on 13570v at 1404 check Oct 13. Maybe just switched from 9265v at 1400, tho supposed to do so at 1200. Preacher, neither Stair nor Camping, QRMing multiple CODARs which extended from 13380 to 13605. I sure hope no hostile submarines went undetected as a result (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. I was about to say: ``It occurs to me that I have not heard KVOH 17775 in some weeks, in random tuning around during the daytime. Has anyone?`` Then I checked once more at 1613 Oct 13 and there it was, inbooming with usual lo-fi gospel huxter screaming in Spanish (Glenn Hauser, OK, Oct 13, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 11560 with strong and steady open carrier, Oct 13 at 1403-1431* Left a receiver on and never any modulation or other clues. Next to WEWN 11550. Certainly not YFR Taiwan scheduled here; WEWN also has 11560 on schedule until 1400. Could be an IBB Greenville test on an unlisted frequency (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. Time for my yearly report of the huge ear-splitting whine centered on 17450, often heard here in the daytime, and especially strong Oct 13 at 1417. It spreads from 17420 to 17480. Listening on AM, you hear a constant pitch; with BFO on, you detect multiple carriers within every kHz. WHAT IS THIS AND FROM WHERE? 16m was pretty open, with Greenville good on 17530, not always the case, plus other signals from Americas, Africa, Europe (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST) ###

Order your WRTH 2008: