Re: [IRCA] further TA in Victoria 1 December

Hi Gary,

That's why I'll be checking the WebSDRs for the Algerian parallel on 1422 if I can get decent audio again. With TA conditions the way they've been, Oman is actually more likely, and its antenna is somewhat directional towards us.

One small problem, Oman is not supposed to on the air at the time that I heard this (0240UT). But it should be a target at midwinter sunrise here...note to self.

However, I overlooked that IRIB external (Iran) supposedly is on the air by 0240UT with an Azeri service (according to MWList), and with a powerful transmitter quite directional this way on the shore of the Caspian Sea. Oh well, better luck next time. To top it off, the 702 carrier usually appears when the 1575 buzzer is heard, and 1026 and / or 1278 are showing Persian hints.

Thank you for making me think a bit more deeply about this; or, in retrospect, think at all, hi. My only excuse is that I don't believe WRTH 2018 (or the A18 update) has 702 sign on until 0320UT.

best wishes,

Nick

At 05:58 2018-12-07, Gary DeBock wrote:

<<<   I've checked 702 and 1422 several times this week
> on Kiwi SDRs  for any possible French talk before
> 0500UT, and it's almost always been Koranic
> recitation.  However, this evening, it was a man
> and woman talking, but in Arabic.
>
> However, the Arabic seemed to have a softer sound
> than Middle Eastern, or even Egyptian, Arabic,
> and could possibly be mistaken for French when it's poor quality DX.   >>>

Interesting, Nick. Arabic on 702 might be BBC in Oman, the big gun that was the surprise of the Hawaii Ultralight DXpedition.

Most TP-DXers are pretty mystified with Arabic. I never would have known what this strange 702 signal was, except for the language skills of Mauno and Mika https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/r2v5evrlkg1pv6qvatidyzvqwoi3i7ou

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

Nick Hall-Patch
Victoria, BC
Canada