Re: [IRCA] [Shortwave-SWL-Antenna] Noisy Cable TV

Re: [IRCA] [Shortwave-SWL-Antenna] Noisy Cable TV

I probably mislead by noting two occurrences of increased noise at 4pm,
that was not meant to imply it happens every day at 4pm, but was intended
as an example that the noise does vary in intensity.  Today the noise began
just before 3pm and I watched the noise level ramp up, gradually, step by
step, not as if something were just turned on.

On my receiver signal level meter labeled 0-10, the noise had been just
above 0 earlier in the day, then stepped up to 1, a moment later up to 2,
and so on, stepping up until it reached full scale a minute or so
later.  At that point non-local AM stations I had been listening to were
wiped out, and the noise filled the house wherever I took my portable
radio, but peaked at the cable coax running from back to front.  I was
tuned to 252kHz because that is an especially strong point on the dial, but
the noise can be heard throughout the BCB.

To further narrow things down -- since the cable guy had already removed
the weather proofing on the cable connector at the grounding block -- I
disconnected the cable and checked around the area.  The noise was still
there but it no longer peaked near the cable coax in the front of the
house, now disconnected from the cable system.

Next I turned off all power to the house, with no change in the noise
level.  Then I spent a half hour re-floating all my electronic boats.

I walked close to my neighbors on each side and except where I was under
the cable coax in the back, the level diminished.

I should also mention that today is bright and sunny, whereas the past two
days were partially overcast, supporting the notion that heating by the sun
somehow contributes to the problem creating the noise.

On the TV, I do not see the noise bars as were described, but I do see
graininess in the picture and a mixture of close spaced horizontal and
diagonal lines, and flickering, faint but there if you look for them, on
the lower channels.

This just does not act like the product of some appliance; the way the
noise increases in a step-wise fashion over a period of a minute or
two.  The noise can be nulled to the cable TV coax.  It may not be a
product of the cable system, but it almost certainly is arriving carried by
the cable coax and re-radiating with a vengeance.

Once again let me thank everyone for their ideas and suggestions.

Curt
-------
W. Curt Deegan
Boca Raton, (southeast) Florida