Re: [IRCA] Noisy Cable TV

The Ongoing Saga of Cable TV Noise and the Repairmen, part II:

In the previous installment of this story, last week the cable guy had
showed up to assess the problem, but on a day and at a time which happened
to be when the noise level was at its lowest level.  Still he did find
noise on the cable and submitted a work request to maintenance, scheduled
for sometime this week.

Today -- in response to my reporting noise heard on my telephone when the
radio monitored noise level was at its worst -- the phone guy arrived and,
of course, the noise was at its lowest level.  Indeed, for the first time
since this all began, the noise level has not yet ramped up even after 7 pm.

If nothing else, I've found a way to stave off the noise: schedule maintenance.

The phone guy was very willing to listen even though he had never heard of
such a thing before, nor had a fellow repairman he happened to receive a
call from.  I kept saying the same thing over and over in the belief if I
said it enough he would suddenly think he had heard it somewhere
before.  He did seem to become more willing to allow that I might not be
completely crazy.  I even dropped the Electrical Engineer rubric on him,
for what it's worth.

He tested vigorously and reported that my phone line did have a problem --
precisely what I didn't catch, just not as good as it should be, I
gathered.  He replaced my connection from the junction box on my house all
the way to the junction box somewhere removed where the area connections
congregate.  This was accomplished by swapping pairs from what I had to
ones that tested better.  He believed that would solve my problem with DSL
disconnects and outages.  I can only way to see if that is the case.

I have not heard back from the cable company yet, so I don't know if
anything has been done by their maintenance people.  The absence of the
usual afternoon onslaught of noise gives me cause for hope, but I will have
to way to see on that too.

While I'm less convinced solar heating is the primary cause, it is still
typical that cloudy days have the noise occurring later in the day than
sunny ones, so it does play some role.  Today has been overcast, as it was
the day the cable guy was here.

Whatever the reason for the lowered noise level, today I was able to hear
some weaker stations on AM that had been completely blanketed by the noise
on previous afternoons.

Part III to follow (Cable Maintenance Checks In).

Curt
-------
W. Curt Deegan
Boca Raton, (southeast) Florida