[Swprograms] Sony 2010 Fixed

Some months back, I had posted a query about sources for
working on a bad-condition Sony 2010 I had that had had an
FM Atlas-installed SCA adaptor built in it. I had some responses
including a pointer to Kiwa Electronics. I knew about their
modification work but not that they did repairs. Various personal
stuff interfered and I didn't follow it up at the time. More
recently, I asked the same question on Allan Weiner's call-in show
on WBCQ, and another person called in to recommend Kiwa. I couldn't
find Kiwa ads in recent magazines or PWBR, and calls to the number
in older magazines' ads got "disconnected" responses. So I checked
on the Web and discovered that they had moved from Washington state
to Minnesota. (Check their website by Googling the firm name.)

Anyway, I did get in touch, spoke with Chris on the phone, sent him
the 2010, and he evaluated it. Later phone calls disclosed that the
FM SCA adaptor was really poorly made and the installation job was
botched, damaging the radio's performance. I decided to let the
adaptor be removed and Chris re-built the radio to original specs
(he happened to have parts from another junked 2010) and then he
added a filter and audio-circuit mods as listed in his website.

I got it back a week ago. It works GREAT! Before, it was deaf on
the AM BCB -- when I tried it after opening the package and installing
batteries, the first station that came in was a TIS over in Illinois
on 530 kHz (in the middle of the afternoon)! SW is now loud and clear,
better and less noisy than any of my other portables, using only the
whip. Functioning with the external-power adaptor gets it even better,
but the important thing is how well a portable functions when truly
portable with batteries and whip only. I am most pleased, and wanted
to spread the word and recommend Kiwa to all.

I like the way it sounds with the new wide filter and audio mods;
can't really compare that with before, because it had been years
since I listened to it while it was in poor shape.

Fixing the radio was basically $100; adding the mods was another
$130 or so. With shipping it was $242. Expensive? I guess so, but
otherwise the thing was a paperweight. What did I learn? Should have
bought a new 2010 to begin with a decade or so ago, whenever I got
this one. But now you can't get new 2010's anyway, so if you get one
it will be used, and it looks like Kiwa can help if it has problems.
(Hope he can get more parts for others who need them! Don't pitch
any 2010's, even if the dog eats one! Chris can use the parts! :-)

(By the way, they don't advertise in the magazines or PWBR right now
because they have a full load of work just from their web presence
and reputation.)

           Regards and 73, Will Martin