[Swprograms] Re: CBC Magic?? (Was: OT: FM, Sirius and RCI)

[Swprograms] Re: CBC Magic?? (Was: OT: FM, Sirius and RCI)

Keep in mind that much of the RCI discussion here centered around lousy
frequency and schedule decisions this season for late afternoon / early
listening sessions.

By comparison, RA isn't nearly as audible that time of day, or during most
"prime time" early evening listening hours, for that matter.

I am also particularly and selfishly interested in CBC and Canadian affairs
since my paternal grandparents were Canadian.  I grew up with Southern
Ontario media offering welcome choices in the pre-cable TV days.  We lived
fewer than 10 miles from 3 of Buffalo's commercial TV stations so we could
have watched them with an outdoor aerial pointed anywhere; Buffalo's other
commercial and public TV station antennas happened to be in the same
direction as CHCH, CBLT and CFTO, so -- by joyous coincidence -- we were
able to see Canadian TV clearly.  Not that it was necessarily better than
domestic fare -- in fact, most of it WAS domestic US fare, just on a
different times.

Add to that mix the fact that CBL AM 740 came in loud and clear; especially
in the pre-NPR days, it was a clear alternative to domestic radio.

By comparison, I agree -- enthusiastically -- that much of RN's output is
clearly superior to that of the CBC -- in part, because RN has a series of
15- and 30-minute programs that cover a particular topic week in, week
out -- so you know what's coming and when.

RN also doesn't merit as much commentary here because, frankly, their
programming is eminently accesible on-demand.  That's more than I can say
for some CBC programming.

It seems to be a paradox that we in other countries hold domestic public
service broadcasters in higher esteem than do residents of those countries.
I was chatting with two Indian co-workers regarding All India Radio's
domestic services a few weeks back; neither of my co-workers listened
regularly to AIR, nor did their friends.

So...what do you Canadians think about the USA's NPR programming?

Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA  USA