Re: [Swprograms] OT: my wish list for an iPOD-like device

Re: [Swprograms] OT: my wish list for an iPOD-like device

Firstly -- if you want primarily World Band Radio, and aren't planning
to store a boatload of music on it, get an el-cheapo MP3 player.  My
current unit is a refurb Sansa c150 that cost me ~$30 at Buy.com.
Storage is not an issue, because I generally delete audio once I've
listened once.  Having the capability to use external storage (e.g. SD
card) can be handy but is not a requirement.

Secondly -- the tools and approaches I describe below assume you have
a computer with a USB port.  An older, USB 1.0 port (Windows 98 era
machines) will work in most instances, but the more recent USB 2.0
implementation is much easier, as Windows XP recognizes externally
connected players as just an extra storage drive.  Alternatively, you
can select an MP3 player that accepts memory cards (SD cards most
typically) IF your PC has a memory card reader as well.

There are several handy tools that make "radio" listening via MP3
players a snap.  Depends in part in whether you'll be digitizing
shortwave broadcasts or capturing streaming live and on-demand
webcasts.

If you are looking at a web audio scenario, and using a PC (vs. a
Mac), and have broadband Internet access, here's my short list:

1.  Replay AV software  (http://www.applian.com/replay-av/index.php).
Great for unattended recording of live audio; helpful tools for
capturing on-demand audio; one key benefit is that it doesn't tie up
your sound card UNLESS the audio is via a Flash player (NPR, RCI).
Also converts audio from proprietary formats (WMA, RM) to MP3s,
universally usable.  Can function as a podcast client, but I prefer
Google reader (below).

2.  Google reader -- web-based podcast / newsfeed aggregator.  I
prefer it because I don't actually download audio until I want to.
See http://www.google.com/reader.

3.  Public Radio Fan website:  http://www.publicradiofan.com.  Great
list of streaming international broadcasts, programs, URLs, etc.

4.  Itunes software.  Somewhat helpful as a podcast catcher (since
most podcasters promote their offerings in Itunes' directory), but a
large, slow-to-load program.  I much prefer the Google Reader.

If instead you are considering capturing real live shortwave audio for
a digital player, you'll need some sort of digital voice recorder
(DVR).  There are many out there; Olympus probably has the broadest
product line, typically using a proprietary digital encoding format;
Thomson SA has an RCA-branded unit that records directly to MP3s.

A candidate DVR must have a microphone jack to be useful, and also
should be voice-activated in case you want unattended recording done
in tandem with a timer-enabled shortwave radio.  A candidate DVR must
also have a USB port (most do) so you can upload audio to the PC.
Helpful if the DVR can optionally use an outboard power supply.

I use a Philips DVR that was part of a speech recognition software
bundle.  It does not have external power capabilities, and is a
battery hog if I set it up for voice activated recording.  Its audio
is in a proprietary format, but the unit ships with PC software that
converts its format to WAV audio.  I then use a utility that's part of
Replay AV (see above) to convert WAV audio to MP3 audio.

There are other helpful freeware SW programs that can manipulate MP3
files; this can be helpful in some instances; such manipulations would
include cutting out audio ("MP3 Direct Cut") or joining multiple files
("Direct MP3 Joiner" -- not freeware) or altering MP3 file ID tags
(Windows XP offers its own functionality; other programs exist).

Contact me off-line with any other questions.  This is pretty much how
I do > 90% of my "world radio" listening nowadays.

Shameless self-promotion:  I will probably present a forum on this
topic at the Winter SWL Fest in March.

Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA