[IRCA] Mexico Says Wait a Minute to IBOC

[IRCA] Mexico Says Wait a Minute to IBOC

I don't see that anyone else has posted this, but in case they haven't,
please read. Bill
---------------------------------------
http://www.rwonline.com/leslie_report/
Issue: Aug. 08, 2007

Mexico Says Hang on a Minute!

Mexico wants U.S. radio regulators to re-think their decision to allow
AMs to go IBOC at night and FMs to operate on the extended hybrid
digital carriers.

Our neighbors to the south say they are not happy the FCC authorized its
recent “final” IBOC rules governing broadcast transmissions without
first coordinating those through international treaties.

In a letter to Chairman Martin filed in the IBOC docket, the Mexican
Federal Telecommunications Commission, which regulates communications in
Mexico, states that “until technical criteria” have been established
between the agencies to allow “optimal and efficient development of
analog and digital radio broadcasting along our common border,” the
commission should hold off on the two points made earlier.

Sources tell me they believe Mexico filed the letter so it would have
standing in any proceeding on IBOC and to have a way to adjudicate
interference claims for the border area. Indeed, the group also refers
to possible interference from U.S. IBOC stations to Mexican stations as
a reason to have the coordination completed according to treaties first.

The FCC handles coordination with the State Department, so perhaps the
timing isn’t all up to the FCC.

Interesting development. As we recently reported, Mexico has agreed in
principle to allow border stations to use FM IBOC, and that decision
needs to be finalized and printed in Mexico’s version of the Federal
Register.