Re: [HCDX] DAT and Minidisc

>  From:    Jonathan.Marks@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Jonathan Marks)

>  We use both at Radio Netherlands, but Minidisc is less robust...partly
>  because the recorders are all consumer grade, so they are sensitive to dust
>  (especially the microphone jacks on the Sony's). Also while in the field I
>  note that the MDR-55 is a sort of RF interference if the patch cord is too
>  short..especially on MW and SW. This problem occurs with small sets like
the
>  SW-07. No problem on FM.

That´s true, especially when using a receiver (like the ATS 909) with its
internal antennas. Sometimes it also makes quite a difference between using
the external power supply of the portable MD recorder or its internal battery.

But I always managed to find a good place for the recorder (especially in
respect to the radio´s internal AM rod antenna), where there was no such
interference left. So, this problem is one that in most cases can be solved
(using the Sony MZ-R30). This way I did some very nice DX recordings last
year in St. George´s and Shanghai. I never would give away my MD recorder,
which - besides the receiver and the external antenna - I consider to be my
most useful tool for DXing  ;-)

vy73
Harald