Re: [Swprograms] OT: Digital radio market study

Re: [Swprograms] OT: Digital radio market study

I don't think online feeds (that link was from Clear Channel) will do
the trick by itself.  A marginally acceptable version is what a local
AM station did here -- create an online and HD oldies feed, inserting
local advertising spots / news / traffic / weather that is repurposed
(don't you love that word) from their "angry white male" formatted AM
counterpart.

That at least offers some localized value, but is still warmed-over
automated stuff.

The public radio HD alternatives tend to showcase additional
programming that might not be available in a local market, but again
rarely represent anything truly "new".

HD radio will find a narrow niche in cars, but even that will be
temporary in metropolitan areas.  There, WiMAX networks -- in about 5
years' time, perhaps less -- will allow you to take your WiFi radio
and put it in your car.  Admittedly that won't work for cross-country
drivers, but most of us do our driving in metro areas.

My two cents...

Rich Cuff