Re: [Swprograms] OT: Digital radio market study

Re: [Swprograms] OT: Digital radio market study

Perhaps I wasn't entirely clear.  I'm not suggesting that the online feeds can
substitute.  What I was trying to suggest was that they have far more variety
than the secondary HD channels at this point and Clear Channel has not pushed
those formats from their online service to local HD channels.  And they are
better than what the locals have now (at least in my listening area).  NPR has
done slightly better (as you note) but without much innovation so far.

I do agree with John that the media concentration is a large part of the
problem.  It stifles creativity because of the inherent need for corporate
control.  Among technology based companies, larger ones always have more trouble
pushing innovation internally and getting it to market.  A few succeed but it
takes unusual corporate culture.  Radio ownership is no different.

I'm still not decided on the fate of HD radio in the marketplace.  There's a lot
of money staked on it now and the only thing I am sure of is that more will be
thrown at it soon to drive some growth.  Too little, too late?  Possibly.  There
are cracks in the damn with some stations now filing complaints against others
for interference on AM.  WiMAX is the unknown out there.  How fast will it
arrive?  How open will it be?  Who will own the spectrum?

--
-Rob de Santos
Columbus, OH