Re: [Swprograms] Digital radio news

On Thu, 9 Jan 2014 21:28:55 -0500, in shortwave you wrote:

> I think you've misunderstood, Ted.  The criticism of government
> policy regards allowing (in fact fostering) concentration of control
> over a public resource--not a public vs. private broadcasting
> argument.

One of the points I was trying to make is that having that 800-pound
gorilla with the government imprimatur is also a form of concentration
of control.

Not that I particularly care for the state of broadcasting here in the
US.  I wouldn't necessarily mind some good spoken-word broadcasting that
wasn't of the call-in variety; after all, I listen to the various
international broadcasters.  But one of the impressions I get from
discussions like this -- not just here, but in the game show forum I
mentioned in responding to Rob, as well as the TCM boards -- is that a
lot of the complaining comes down to, "How horrible it is that there's
not more of the format of programming *I* like!"  (You should see on the
TCM boards whenever they run more recent movies.)

I don't have any good answers, though.

> P.S.:  I think it's WEPN that's transitioned to FM from AM in NYC.
> WFAN is on both 660AM which should be reaching into the Catskills
> even in daytime, and FM.

I must not have made my previous post clear; yeah, I fully know that
it's WEPN that went Spanish-language sports.  Just this week WFAN's
station IDs went to mentioning the FM frequency first, which makes me
wonder when they're going to leave AM....