Re: [IRCA] Palm Springs radio update

KGFJ was fairly easy up here in Nor. Cal as is KYPA (last I tried)...1240 KPPC Pasadena could be (and was) heard in Sacto on Monday mornings from midnight to 0005 s/off (sometimes on as late as 0030) in 1966-67. KROY Sacto would s/off at 0000 on MMs & that left KPPC (with their 100 watts) and Abbotsford BC alone on the channel for a few minutes. Big Bear Lake (KTOT then in 1965-67) was heard on E/T in Dec 65 playing Handel's "Messiah" for hours at a time + last few minutes before s/off in Dec 65 & Jan 66.

Don K.

Patrick Martin wrote:
We all remember southern California stations like KGFJ/KYPA 1230 L.A.
and KBBV 1050 in Big Bear, that each used a long wire of sorts for their
main antenna. I believe the old KPPC 1240 in Pasadena did as well.
(Possibly still on top of the Pasadena Presbyterian church on Colorado
blvd.<<

I was lucky to hear KGFJ-1230 back in the late 60s and got them QSL'd.
Seems to me I heard them on MM's. The only KPPC I got was their FM. At
least I got that and QSL'd. I tried for the 100w on 1240 but never any
luck. That would have been great from Oregon, but 1240 was never as
clear as 1400 in the late 60s.
73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin
Seaside Oregon "Come visit us for the 2010 IRCA convention held Sept 24-26 at the Inn
At Seaside."